DD won't move up in bat size

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
My 11 yo DD is approximately 5'5" -5'6" and 108 lbs. In 10U the bat she used was a 31/18 (LS Zephyr). She made contact and had a pretty good on base percentage. We talked about the fact that some of her hits at 10U will not be hits at 12U and she needs to work on mechanics, etc. She just finished first 12U tournament this weekend. For Christmas I got her a new bat 32/20 (Demarini Vendetta) thinking she would be ready to use this for 12U. Both are balanced composite bats.

She says her new bat is too heavy and I cannot get the old bat out of her hands. The problem is I think the old bat may be too light and affect the distance/ power of the ball. Her mechanics are okay, needs some work, but even when I see a good swing the ball doesn't really go like I think it should. She is not a power hitter, but isn't a weak player either. She pitches and plays CF and has a fairly good arm so I don't think strength is the issue.

Do I just leave her alone with that light bat? Is there a better light bat she could be using? Maybe a mental thing?

Thanks for any advice for anyone that has dealt with something like this with their DD!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
With my way of thinking, both bats are too light. With a 32 inch bat, I want it to weigh 22 ounces. It is my opinion only, but dads are lured in to buying a light weight bat, thinking that their daughter can't swing a real bat. They can. And she will be a better hitter, with a bigger stick. You can go 31, 21, if you want, but not a -11 or -12.

You are right that the ball will go further, with good mechanics and a heavier bat.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I was facing the same thing. What I did was show her how when you hold it up straight, and not back on the shoulder.... it feels like they weigh the same as her first fastpitch bat, and even her little T-Ball bat.

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
With my way of thinking, both bats are too light. With a 32 inch bat, I want it to weigh 22 ounces. It is my opinion only, but dads are lured in to buying a light weight bat, thinking that their daughter can't swing a real bat. They can. And she will be a better hitter, with a bigger stick. You can go 31, 21, if you want, but not a -11 or -12.

You are right that the ball will go further, with good mechanics and a heavier bat.

Amy, you are correct...my thought in 10U was to have a lighter bat and she could get it through the zone faster, etc. Do you have a preference on end loaded vs balanced? I picked up one of her team mates end loaded bat and in some ways it felt lighter to me than a balanced bat?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Well, the difference is in the "swing weight" and I don't understand all of that. I do prefer an end loaded bat for a muscular girl or one with really good mechanics. But, I bet that a composite -10 works for 75% of the girls.

Mar 29, 2012
the zephyrs actually feel a little heavier to me than te vendettas. Girls don't like giving up their bats even when it is the best thing for them.

My DD did not want to move up from her 30" to a 31". I just didn't give her a choice and now she is ok with it.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Unless she is a slapper you need to stop buying -11 or -12 bats. Get her a 31/21 and cut her 31/18 in half with a hacksaw.....or donate it to a rec league!

Mar 13, 2010
the zephyrs actually feel a little heavier to me than te vendettas. Girls don't like giving up their bats even when it is the best thing for them.

I had a broken bat that my mother had to steal out of my kit and throw out before I'd use the new one. There's an emotional attachment to your bat!

Oct 10, 2011
Make sure you let her pick the bat. My DD wouldn't change until I showed her the catalog with all the new "pretty" bats. I only let her choose from the -10. She saw one and fell in love but was still hesitant until she saw how much farther the ball flew when she hit with it. She never looked back.

Dec 28, 2011
Going through the same thing with my DD. She has been using a 31-21 for a while now, and is very happy and somewhat successful with it. Batting coach said she should be swinging a 32-22 (she is also 5'5" , around 108 also, but age 13). Bought the new bat a couple of months ago, and she has yet to use it. She is a bit superstitious, I guess. Hopefully we can start using it in practice at least.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1