DD won't move up in bat size

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
I would recommend a "phased" introduction of the heavier bat.

Have her use the correct sized bat in BP and then she will slowly but surely get stronger with the new one and come to the conclusion the new one just feels better and hits further (eventually).

Or -

Have somebody else recommend the new bat to her - like a coach or somebody else she respects (My DD's first reaction to me saying "Up" is always an immediate "DOWN!")

Also could have her hit for distance off the tee. That will start to open her eyes. (again assuming NO extremes here where the new bat IS too big and she can't get somewhat equivelant bat speed going with it)

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
Your DD is bigger than my 16 yr old DD, 5'3" 112 lb. Granted, my older girls will have started filling in their frames with muscle, but even at 5'0" and 100 lb, she was using 31/21. She now swings either 33/23 or 33/24. Your DD is certainly strong enough to swing a bigger bat. Does she have a hitting instructor? If so, may he/she can tell her she needs a bigger bat?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
RB's suggestion is what we did. My dd started to take off in strength and size and we knew we had to get her a different bat. So, we found a 33/23 that she was alright with but not excited about. We then bought a 34/24 bat for her to use in the cage and the, as many know, we also started having her hit with wood. So, in the end, she transistioned easily. Now she swings a 34/24 but is thinking about a 34/25. The trick is to get them to attempt some changes in practice. Once they see how well they can swing the bigger bat, they won't want to go back.

Jul 4, 2012
Ditto on going only as light as a -10. She will see the results after some practice. Also, DD went from a Catalyst to a CF5, and she didn't like it at first simply because of the sound difference. The Catalyst had a distinct - loud sound, and the CF5 does not. But, she saw the results and now it is not an issue.

Oct 10, 2011
I would recommend a "phased" introduction of the heavier bat.

Have her use the correct sized bat in BP and then she will slowly but surely get stronger with the new one and come to the conclusion the new one just feels better and hits further (eventually).

Or -

Have somebody else recommend the new bat to her - like a coach or somebody else she respects (My DD's first reaction to me saying "Up" is always an immediate "DOWN!")

Also could have her hit for distance off the tee. That will start to open her eyes. (again assuming NO extremes here where the new bat IS too big and she can't get somewhat equivelant bat speed going with it)
Thanks RB, DD's hitting coach told her he wants her to go heavier and recommended a bat. She said Okay...Dad? So, just ordered it. Did you call him or something:) Problem is I just got her a bat 2 months ago and she doesn't want me to sell it! My wife might leave me!

Mar 29, 2012
she doesn't want me to sell it! My wife might leave me!

I know what you mean, Just moved DD up to a 31" last month and bought a CF5.

Yesterday a package arrives with a 32" 07 mayhem. I explained to my wife sure I just spent $200 on her new bat, but she needs a 32" in the house for when she has to move up again!

She didn't buy it :p.

Oct 10, 2011
I know what you mean, Just moved DD up to a 31" last month and bought a CF5.

Yesterday a package arrives with a 32" 07 mayhem. I explained to my wife sure I just spent $200 on her new bat, but she needs a 32" in the house for when she has to move up again!

She didn't buy it :p.
I just sent my wife a text because I'm too weak to face her!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I just sent my wife a text because I'm too weak to face her!

I have found that once you get DD up to a couple bats and start swapping/trading them in and out it becomes a non-issue because they're harder for spouses to keep track of. Also you can claim at least one of them as "your" BP and/or IF/OF practice bat. Along these lines I also prefer the full-sized bat bags offer the advantage of "out of sight, out of mind" over the more popular backpacks that hold 2 bats out in the open. I think DD is currently at 3, soon to be 4, and I'm at 2 plus or minus what I stash in my car trunk. Alternatively, I could be spending all that time and money at a bar getting in lord knows what trouble.

Oct 10, 2011
I have found that once you get DD up to a couple bats and start swapping/trading them in and out it becomes a non-issue because they're harder for spouses to keep track of. Also you can claim at least one of them as "your" BP and/or IF/OF practice bat. Along these lines I also prefer the full-sized bat bags offer the advantage of "out of sight, out of mind" over the more popular backpacks that hold 2 bats out in the open. I think DD is currently at 3, soon to be 4, and I'm at 2 plus or minus what I stash in my car trunk. Alternatively, I could be spending all that time and money at a bar getting in lord knows what trouble.
She actually is not too upset. I was smart and painted the bathroom before I went to work today...she really wanted it done soon. Worked out great, but she still said I have a problem.

Mar 29, 2012
Yeah DD has 2 31" bats her gamer and a BP bat. The 32" just in case she ever moves up, and a 30" that is left over from before she moved up to the 31" and those are the composites. Also have 2 alloy that sit in the back of my car and don't get used for anything.