DD Swing—-9 YO

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 3, 2019

Hi All,

Back again. DDs most recent swing is above. She’s 9, plays 10u B level.

Sorry for slo-mo but that’s how DW taped it.

Working with her on rear foot needing to not be angled backwards.

We’ve been working hard last 2 months. Making some progress on bat drag that has been a nagging issue.

Feels like her arms are kind of weak at and after contact. Any thoughts on how to correct? I’m seeing her lead arm getting fully extended too soon and possibly leading to contact too far from body.

Open to thoughts.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
The tee is too far out front. And too far away. Fix that first. She going to say "I cat hit like that , everything is off the handle." She needs to load rear glute. Try taking swings with elbows at 90 degrees until contact. What size is the bat?

Oct 2, 2017
This is my opinion only on what needs to happen. First Rolling Hard is correct the tee is way to far out front. Second Bat is too heavy, lighten it up. This will allow her to support the mechanics that she is trying to learn with her entire body, instead of trying to muscle it, with her arms which can lead to early arm extension. 3rd is a question, are you teaching her to pull back to have separation? Looks to me that she is being taught that. Also to treat drag, its best to do with front toss and not a tee imo.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019
Trying to teach her to keep hands back until core begins to launch and then have hands come through. She does seem to pull hands/ back elbow a little on their own.

Based on her height and weight, every recommendation Ive seen for bat size is 30/19.

Oct 2, 2017
Trying to teach her to keep hands back until core begins to launch and then have hands come through. She does seem to pull hands/ back elbow a little on their own.

Based on her height and weight, every recommendation Ive seen for bat size is 30/19.

Ok, from here I would say lower the weight and see what happens. You'd be surprised at what it does to mechanics, when just changing the bat weight. . I also like the suggestion that Eric made.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

Hi All,

We’ve been working hard last 2 months. Making some progress on bat drag that has been a nagging issue.

Feels like her arms are kind of weak at and after contact. Any thoughts on how to correct? I’m seeing her lead arm getting fully extended too soon and possibly leading to contact too far from body.

Open to thoughts.

Your dd is in sequence. She has some good core action. Good energy transfer. I would work on posture. Staying over the plate through launch. Lower half is correct. Did you do drills for the lower half?

Solid swing imo.

Oct 4, 2018
Lots looks good. My DD is currently learning more about the hands staying closer to the chest. "short swing", "staying inside the ball", etc. Looks like your DD might need a bit of the same.

Jun 8, 2016

Hi All,

Open to thoughts.

If you have a chance, post her swing when a ball is moving.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying