DD Smacking her side video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
I was able to film my DD, it looks like she is closing too early or not opening up fully leaving he oblique in the way
[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=buruPYOGKks&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DburuPYOGKks%26feature%3 Dyoutube_gdata_player[/video]

Huskerdu
There are three things in this pitch that I see needing some work....the one that I think is contributing the most to some excessive interference would be her throwing arm. It is about as straight and locked out as any I've seen. The arm won't "roll through" the interference very well in a locked out condition. I would recommend she work a lot of arm whip drills starting the arm at 8-9 o'clock and then progressing slowly up to the 12 o'clock start position.
The second issue is her landing and release posture......way to vertical ...... forward of vertical at release.
Third is the lack of lower body (hip rotation) contribution. Her shoulders rotate but the hips don't. So lots of the "Turn the laces/lift the heel/knee-to-knee" drills.

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
Huskerdu
There are three things in this pitch that I see needing some work....the one that I think is contributing the most to some excessive interference would be her throwing arm. It is about as straight and locked out as any I've seen. The arm won't "roll through" the interference very well in a locked out condition. I would recommend she work a lot of arm whip drills starting the arm at 8-9 o'clock and then progressing slowly up to the 12 o'clock start position.
The second issue is her landing and release posture......way to vertical ...... forward of vertical at release.
Third is the lack of lower body (hip rotation) contribution. Her shoulders rotate but the hips don't. So lots of the "Turn the laces/lift the heel/knee-to-knee" drills.

Thanks, you are exactly right. I sent your observation to her pitching coach, any videos with those drills? She knows the arm-whip drill but I'd like to make sure she's doing them correctly.

Forget working on her rise ball, she needs to fix this!!!

Anything positive you observed?

Thanks again!

H-

Huskerdu
Pardon my hast last night......there are a lot of good things she is doing. I think her pre-motion, forward drive, arm swing, and just about everything is good up until she gets to 12 o'clock....where the straight arm kicks in. Once she gets down into the release zone her arm bends like it should....but by then the straight arm has already had its interference with the oblique. The tilt issue can be helped by her getting the glove up to 2 o'clock when the ball is at 12 o'clock.
I am guessing this link is getting old to some but in case you missed it, this is the one I recommend from the "K" position. http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/16719-creating-correct-core-torque.html

Dec 19, 2012
Huskedu makes some very good points. I think her arm circle lags....it is out of sequence. From the camera's perspective her arm circle is at 12 o'clock when her front foot lands, causing her to try to throw around her hip. Her arm circle needs to be around 9 o'clock (camera perspective) when her front foot lands.

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
Thanks everyone, this was right on track, when I showed her, her eyes lit up and she got it!

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Sorry, Huskerdu, I don't care for the stuff taught in that video. Have you read the posts from Boardmember on internal rotation? They include some very educational clips of him showing it.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
That video with Beth Torina is promoting the deadly hello elbow! Do not use it! The arm circle is NOT perfectly straight. And we have to be torquing the hips at the release zone in order to complete the kinetic chain of our weight transfer. As stated above... disregard that youtube nonsense. And look up pauleygirlfastpitch.com as well as houseofpitching.com
Also you need to study the threads and video clips in the "IR in the classroom" and "internal rotation" located in the pitching forum
Educate yourself as much as possible with QUALITY. As far as the "instructors" on you tube, they are mostly just knuckleheads wanting 15 min of fame. So avoid studying clips on there unless you know them and their teachings are in line with what you find within the DFP pitching forum.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32