DD separated her shoulder Sunday hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
I'm wondering if her bottom hand went to full extension after contact (the so-called power V).

If not, then the left shoulder could have taken most of the force. The shoulder joint may have just "caught". Might never happen again.

In one of the pictures the left elbow appears to be a little too far from the body for the finish. Of course, that could just be the photo.

Good luck!

May 7, 2008
DFW
Any number of things could do this to a player.

Is she a pitcher or a shortstop? Your daughter appears to be in the 12-14 year old age group? Its possible that her growth plates around the shoulder area have not developed fully to support all the activity with that shoulder. Only an ortho is going to be able to tell you that through testing. I have had a couple of students who have had this issue. It creates weakness in the shoulder and muscles and with any amount of overuse will continue to get weaker over the course of time. Without the player realizing it in some cases. They just know something has changed when they throw. Not nearly as strong as it was in the past.

Your daughter may have something like this going on with her shoulder. Again only a doctor is going to be able to tell you what course of action to take for correction. One of those will be Physical Therapy to strengthen the shoulder and back in support of her shoulder.

Good luck. I hope it turns out to be minor.

Dana.

sru

Jun 20, 2008
MRI was negative, bad sprain of rotator cuff. Getting going on Physical Therapy. Has full movement until she raises her arm above shoulder level, then hurts pretty bad still.

Still don't have a good explanation how it could happen, definitely want to avoid it again!

The pain above the shoulder is probably due to the swelling from the injury, try to see an orthopedic surgeon for a consultation to confirm there is no underlying probelms (bone spur, bursitis etc). I've had shoulder issues the last few years and was told by my sports med doc that the shoulder is the weakest joint we have, but also has the widest range of movement. One she is re-habed, I'd get her going on a strengthening program to build up the shoulders to prevent it from happening again.

Good luck to her.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
She looks so much like my DD's teammate that this happened to. She played VB and softball. Her shoulder got clothes lined once in basketball. The shoulder didn't start popping out until 2 years later.

Her family insisted on shoulder surgery, because their daughter didn't want to miss her senior year. The surgeon was surprised to see the shoulder just "separate" once she was under under. Her problem was something about her ligaments being too stretched.

I have had shoulder problems and the pain is worse than child birth.

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
Had PT last night, seems like we are all on first name basis with him anymore!! Knee, hip, now this.

He is concerned that regardless of the MRI, something is still torn in there. He stated that especially in the shoulder, the MRI should be done with "contrast", meaning a shot of something in there beforehand. He said that up to 40% of non-contrast MRI's in the shoulder area do miss small tears. He's going to continue to work on her again this week and next week, if there's not distinct improvement by next Friday, he's going to request another MRI, done with the shot this time.

She is 12, a shade over 5'6". Plays 3B and pitches, and really loves to show off the cannon, but again, this is the non-throwing shoulder. Never really played any other sports except softball.

Oct 25, 2009
Had PT last night, seems like we are all on first name basis with him anymore!! Knee, hip, now this.

He is concerned that regardless of the MRI, something is still torn in there. He stated that especially in the shoulder, the MRI should be done with "contrast", meaning a shot of something in there beforehand. He said that up to 40% of non-contrast MRI's in the shoulder area do miss small tears. He's going to continue to work on her again this week and next week, if there's not distinct improvement by next Friday, he's going to request another MRI, done with the shot this time.

She is 12, a shade over 5'6". Plays 3B and pitches, and really loves to show off the cannon, but again, this is the non-throwing shoulder. Never really played any other sports except softball.

Sometimes injuries seem to be in a limb; shoulder, elbow, wrist, i.e., but can be actually related to the nerves in the neck or spine.

The following may seem silly and might not even help but it's simple to do and harmless. I do know that it is effective many times.

Have your DD stand up, relaxed.
Have her place the fingers of her good arm on her chin and push her chin back towards her throat.
Push the chin back while maintaining good relaxed posture.
Push back and hold for 5 to 10 seconds, then slowly release.
Repeat this 20 times.
Then slowly lift the arm to see if it feels ANY better.
If so, do this as often as you like.

Mention this to your PT or Orthopedic and get their opinion, also.

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
Just wanted to post an update. DD was out about 5 weeks from full-speed ball. We pushed the schedule a bit, based upon her range of motion and pain level. First tourney back, she hit left-handed. After that weekend, she went back to the right side. She had two instances with pain again, both on swinging at (and hitting) chest-high pitches. One made it sore for a day or so, the other time she felt something move around (scared her pretty good) but not really any pain resulted. Last week the team was doing "do-or-die" groundballs in the infield, where we expect everyone to be diving, and it was pretty sore after that, but only for a day. I'm guessing it won't be 100% until she gets to rest it completely......that two weeks in August after Nationals in Bloomington and before Fallball starts. Even THINKING about the yellow ball is not allowed in those two weeks!!

She hit two balls to the fence this weekend.

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
Rogue, is your DD doing any sort of excercises the strengthen the muscles in the shoulder area?

We asked the PT about it, he wasn't in favor of anything.....but I don't have a lot of faith in him at this point, either. Mostly we've just been doing a lot of extra stretching which makes a difference; On the days she "forgets" the extra stretching she feels tight in the shoulder. Have a line on a sports conditioning guy here that we're going to try and work with some after the layoff.

If she hadn't been released to play, she wouldn't be.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves