DD separated her shoulder Sunday hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
First at bat in the last game of the day, hits one over the left fielder's head. When she came in after the inning she was teary-eyed, said she was scared because something went "pop" in her left shoulder on the swing, hurt a bit but more scared her. 2nd time up, hits a hard grounder to 2nd who booted it. DD is standing on 1st crying holding her shoulder. Got her out and onto the bench, she iced up and went back in the field. 3rd time up, she wants to hit (Gold championship game of 12A tournament). Fouls off like 6 pitches and works a full count. Fouls another one off, takes 2 steps, and falls down in pain. After lots of ice and help from an EMT, get her to the ER, where the Xray says no dislocation or break. ER doc says separated shoulder, but lots of swelling in the left pectoral as well, so concerned there was some more problems in there. Waiting on a call back from doctor's office this morning to get her in for an MRI.

Ok, so first, lessons learned for coaching staff AND the player...coaches (I'm one of them) when a very tough kid is crying over that type of pain, should yank 'em out. For the player; if there's something wrong, make sure the coaches know just how bad it is and pull yourself out if you have to!! Regardless of the situation (1-1 in the 6th, team ended up losing 4-3 in 9 innings).

That being said; is this a common injury? She hits right-handed, and swings hard. Her swing is rotational, and she comes through bat lag very well, lots of wrist strength. She does bar the left arm as well. Below are some pics.

Fortunately, she also has been slapping a lot from the left side, so regardless of how good the diagnosis, she'll stay on that side until we feel comfortable moving her back to the right side.

SamSwing2-1.jpg

samswing.jpg

samswing2.jpg

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
The doctor will tell you which ligaments are involved in the separation. iirc, there is grade 1, 2 and 3. Grade 1 almost always requires surgery. The grades aren't for the seriousness of the injury, but for the ligaments involved.

I have injured both shoulders in the past and it is a pain, like no other.

Does she play volleyball? Does she slide head first?

I have also saw this type of injury occur on a big swing and miss.

Good luck. I hope that she is good as new, soon.

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
Finishes with both hands on the bat.

Doesn't play any other sport; she's a 24/7/365 softballer, even though we've tried to get her to play others. Something about wanting to play softball for University of Texas :D:D ...........

We hook slide and don't allow the headfirst slide.

The pain was all on swings that connected.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
Finishes with both hands on the bat.

Doesn't play any other sport; she's a 24/7/365 softballer, even though we've tried to get her to play others. Something about wanting to play softball for University of Texas :D:D ...........

We hook slide and don't allow the headfirst slide.

The pain was all on swings that connected.

Weird.

Do you have any video of her throwing? It could be related to that, but that's kind of a long shot.

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
No throwing video. She throws straight over the top, she does pull hard on the left side, but can't imagine that could do it. Heck, we're really searching though, to figure it out and make sure it doesn't happen again!

Jul 28, 2008
You must have been in Auburn at the Acer's tournament. Too bad your daughter's team didn't take down Rijo.

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
Yeah, we were there.....4-3 in 9 innings, tough loss; especially after getting the Acers 1-0 in the semis. I think that was a big reason why my daughter was crying so bad, she knew she was done and wouldn't be there for the finish. At least Rijo knows there's a few teams out there gunning for them that can take 'em down.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
This happened a two years ago to my daughter. She creamed a line drive over ss and then fell down in pain. She was out a few weeks and went through therapy. Then, returned to normal play. MRI showed no tear. Doctor could not tell us why as she had a lot of strength in testing. Scary!

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
MRI was negative, bad sprain of rotator cuff. Getting going on Physical Therapy. Has full movement until she raises her arm above shoulder level, then hurts pretty bad still.

Still don't have a good explanation how it could happen, definitely want to avoid it again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
br_pickoff