DD Pitching Lessons

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
After 2 years wife finally allowed me to take DD to a pitching lesson. A HS pitching coach came to our practice on Friday and worked with her too. Poor girl has had her 1st 2 lessons from 2 different coaches in 3 days. Not intentional, just worked out that way.

I find it interesting that neither coach worked on the same thing and had totally different styles.

Coach 1 let her pitch and worked with her standing tall with a good arm circle.

Coach 2 talked a lot and had her work on her leg drive off the plate, DD never threw a pitch.

DD liked both coaches, wish we had invested the money earlier. Money well spent. We are done with lessons for a little while. We have a lot to work on between her dancing, pool parties, sleepovers, etc.

Mar 13, 2010
Coach 2 talked a lot and had her work on her leg drive off the plate, DD never threw a pitch.

I wouldn't be going back to this one. Talking is useless unless the girls are doing what they are being told.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Thanks, that is the way I am leaning. Talking a lot to a HS or collage player might work but for a 9 year old it seemed too much. DD does not know any Dallas or Lisas. :)

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
After 2 years wife finally allowed me to take DD to a pitching lesson. A HS pitching coach came to our practice on Friday and worked with her too. Poor girl has had her 1st 2 lessons from 2 different coaches in 3 days. Not intentional, just worked out that way.

I find it interesting that neither coach worked on the same thing and had totally different styles.

Coach 1 let her pitch and worked with her standing tall with a good arm circle.

DD liked both coaches, wish we had invested the money earlier. Money well spent. We are done with lessons for a little while. We have a lot to work on between her dancing, pool parties, sleepovers, etc.

Why are you setting her up for failure? Two lessons and she is done? If she really wants to learn to pitch she and you have to make the commitment to learn proper mechanics and to practice often, with regular lessons. IMO, if she doesn't have the time to devote to pitchng, than have her chose another position, otherwise you are throwing your money away.

Apr 13, 2010
Why are you setting her up for failure? Two lessons and she is done? If she really wants to learn to pitch she and you have to make the commitment to learn proper mechanics and to practice often, with regular lessons. IMO, if she doesn't have the time to devote to pitchng, than have her chose another position, otherwise you are throwing your money away.

It is an insane commitment. It was why I didn't want my DD to pitch. She insisted, and I was right it is a lot of work for herand a lot of bucket sitting for me. I wouldn't trade a minute of it for gold either.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I guess what I said came out wrong. She is practicing 3 times a week, pitching in games 2 or 3 times a week. We just have received a lot of great input of things to work on which I would prefer to work on outside of a lesson. “a little while” means a few weeks, we are defiantly going to continue both the financial and time commitment with an eye towards next year.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
It is an insane commitment. It was why I didn't want my DD to pitch. She insisted, and I was right it is a lot of work for herand a lot of bucket sitting for me. I wouldn't trade a minute of it for gold either.

Absolutley right. It is a tremendous amount of work to stay sharp and continue to improve. I just see too many new pitchers who think they can get away with seeing a pitching coach infrequently and have no regular practice schedule and then wonder why they are not consistent and not getting better throughout year. There is no dabbling in pitching. Either you commit 100% to it or you will struggle and eventually give it up since you won't get any pitching time in the circle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06