DD Pitching, Input welcome

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
In reference to the swimming sub-topic here.

I am still so undecided on this.....

Subject = Stacey Nelson : So you guys would say her glove-arm is "very bad", "bad", "OK", ???

See around 1:15 in this clip:
EASTON SOFTBALL - PITCHING TIPS: STANCE - YouTube

I get the need to drive weight forward in the push-off.

But if Nelson can reach the heights she did are we sure this style induces inconsistency and health risk?

Nelson's glove arm is fine. It's slightly off to the left, but it points right at her target and drops straight down.

This, on the other hand, isn't great:
Screen Shot 2012-11-14 at 1.44.41 PM.jpg

Here's the thing about looking to elite pitchers for reference: most of the pitchers who make it that far have some kind of natural affinity for the pitching motion, and atypical strengths that allow them to pitch extremely well despite minor mechanical flaws. Optimal mechanics are optimal for the majority, that is they give a kid who is learning the best chance to succeed, even if you see an elite pitcher getting away with something else.

Vlad Guerrero and Ken Griffey Jr. are both hall of fame caliber hitters, but you're sure as heck gonna teach a 10-year-old boy to swing like Griffey and not Guerrero.

EDIT: my original post said Jennie Finch has a short stride for her height, but I meant Cat Osterman, and I was referring to her poor back leg extension as seen here:
Osterman.jpg
Thanks KenB for calling me out on it... this is what I get for multitasking during boring conference calls! Anyway, the point still remains: Osterman is an AMAZING pitcher, but you're not gonna let a developing pitcher get away with what she's doing.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2011
Hey Carly I gave a big "Thanks" to most of your thread including everything after "This, on the other hand.....". That is good insight to how hard I look at the "big-digs" in pitching.

Maybe I have to go home and see that video again on the big screen but I thought I saw Nelson's glove go on a completely orthogonal plane to the target (after the initial push off the mound). As if she was giving a big hammer-hit to the top of the head of the first-baseman.

(maybe time for me to get glasses....) :)

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
RubberBiscuit: I have to admit I didn't watch the whole video; just the part at 1:15 that you mentioned. So maybe you weren't seeing things!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug