DD freshman high school coach wants

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 4, 2008
DD went to an open gym workout. She is a freshman, she throws 56 - 58 fastball, she throws a knuckle change 37 - 39, she has been very successful with this pitch, she can spot it 85% of the time. The high school pitching coach shows up to the workout, watches DD throw and tells her she needs to switch to the back hand flip change up her change up is too fast. She plays for an 18U team and again has been successful with the knuckle. what do we do??

Oct 25, 2009
You need to sit down with the coach and discuss your DD's past success and your concern about messing with it. Does she have a pitching instructor? That would be a good reason—that you don't want to mix philosophies.

Considering her past success I would have to have a compelling reason to change her.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Have her tell the coach to hit her change-up! I'm not serious but this is one of the most prevalent problems in pitching coaching. There are many, many styles in throwing a change-up, and not every girl can get that specific change-up to work for her. This coach seems to have seen a video, and now thinks he has the "cure". If Jenny Finch told your daughter to throw it like her, I would ask why? If it doesn't work, it doesn't work no matter who the proponent is! If it is successful in 18U, it is going to be successful in HS.

Nov 4, 2008
thanks for the quick response and advise. just not sure first time dealing with high school coach, DD totally freaked, that was the only thing the coach said to her, and OBTW she thought the change looked great ...

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Let me get this straight - your DD throws a FB 56-58 and her CU is 37-39 and the HC thinks the CU is too fast??! Does he also say there should be more arc to the CU?:rolleyes:

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Just smile and learn the other change up. It isn't going to hurt anything. If she is successful in the circle, it won't matter what CU she throws. Tell her to be coachable and keep an open mind.

Dec 7, 2011
This sounds like a carbon copy with us last year except our issue was a hs coach only wanting placed fb's. I kick myself for not talking to the hs coach earlier as this last summer we had a chance to talk and he said "man,... you should have told me!".

This year DD & catcher will call pitches - yeah!

I would suggest go talk with hs coach with a suggestive demeanor :)

Jan 20, 2010
I want to follow her star high school performance, what part of the world is she from. She will have a lot of news articles about her, I would love to read them!!!!!! Being able to throw that fast and have a change like that. She is going to be something to see. College DI programs must be in a fight for her..... Playing 18U at 13 or 14 years old....You should be proud. Where is this girls rise and curve to go along with the other pitches?????

Nov 4, 2008
Just smile and learn the other change up. It isn't going to hurt anything. If she is successful in the circle, it won't matter what CU she throws. Tell her to be coachable and keep an open mind.

it has taken DD four years to get the change where it is, and now we just smile and start over?? i have been told by a couple other bucket sitters the back flip is harder to perfect than the knuckle, is the coach ever in question in your mind Amy??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ODorr