dd doing one of the drills pitching coach told her to work on

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
BM- I need some help understanding the spiral. I can do it no problem, but in showing a kid - how do they grip the ball and what direction of spiral are we trying to achieve?
1- grip the football the same as you would to normally throw it with fingertips on the laces and throw with spiral/bullet spin but underhand instead of overhand?
or
2 - grip the end of the football with the point in your palm, throw underhand with turn resulting in a spiral/bullet spin?
or
3- grip the football the same as you would to normally throw it with fingertips on the laces but throw it sideways (long axis of the ball perpindicular to the direction of throw) with a sideways spiral?

it seems to me that the first two are creating bullet spin which is not desireable in softball and the last one gives you the desired 12-6 spin- or am i mistaken?

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2012
Wi
Grip it just like you're throwing overhand. It should travel in a spiral w the nose up a little bit, clockwise spin. The goal here is to teach keeping your hand inside the ball, not necessarily spin although I've heard its good to start teaching the rise?

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2013
MN
Any answers to the football question?

I posted video of my dd a couple of weeks ago and I think it was Javasource that recommended the football drill. I got some video a few days ago of our practice. I had her closer to the target and throwing it from the 12 position. The first couple were wobbly but then she got the right feel. We then moved on to a full arm circle throwing 5 in a row with football, then 5 with the softball.[video=youtube_share;t2n3AQ6NuMw]http://youtu.be/t2n3AQ6NuMw[/video]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi