DD Brusing Hip During Pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 27, 2016
[video=youtube_share;X5n4R4DAVr4]http://youtu.be/X5n4R4DAVr4[/video]9 year old DD just starting to learn pitching is Brusing hip with elbow. When DD is hitting hip the spin is like a cork screw. Arm circle looks good until the last second than she twist hand under ball sending elbow into hip. What drills to due to help problem?

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2016
Thanks for all the help I knew their was I reason everyone I talked too said to join this forum--quick reply and a ton of info. More info than I can digest DD is in love with softball just started 10U TB team and was needing back pitcher looks like I have a lot of learning too
Thanks again for all the help

Apr 12, 2015
I don't think this pitch is representative of the problem. Based on this clip, she is avoiding brush, possibly in response to whacking herself previously. In the full pitch, you can really see her push her butt towards third as she comes into release.

Bump.jpg

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
quickfix2.JPG
Not sure if this helps, but hopefully it shows how her current posture and arm path is resulting in the bone to bone contact. Correct the posture with lots of underhand catch and releasing right at the thigh. The catching partner should be looking for zero gap between the hand and thigh. This will get the elbow behind the hip bone, making it impossible for bone to hit bone. Seems counterintuitive that more surface contact means less pain, but I would bet that she can throw with immediate relief getting her elbow behind the hip.

I'd suggest a separate rebuild of her drive.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2016
Thanks for input, but she said hip is really sore so not a real good example of what going on. Will try to get a better video after she heals some.
Thanks Again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd