DD Bat Drag ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Does the poster even care what causes bat drag? There is obviously things I left out. PaulN touched on the looper swings by a bat dragger. And there is a lot of loopiness in the swing.

Oct 10, 2011
What do you guys think about putting a pool noodle under the right armpit to keep them from leading with the elbow?

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
"The first step in the limiting bat drag is understand the importance of aligning the spine in such a manner that rotation of the shoulders will carry the bat to the point of contact."

If your destinaion is the MLB pattern, you can't get there from here.

The first step with regard to upper body is to turn the bat handle between the hands rather than pulling it longitudinally. Very different.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
For some, the desire to turn the barrel will result in the rear lat contracting/‘scrunching’ and bringing the rear shoulder down towards their rear hip (rear side lateral bend … lateral tilt). This scrunching action will further energize the use of the hips.

lb136.jpg

I had a kid this past weekend whose barrel path went from an “over-the-top” action (i.e., arm powered swing) to a healthy inside/out barrel path … simply from learning to capture barrel transition in this way. Tom is right … learn to use your hands … learn to use your body to prepare to turn the barrel ... and buy into the notion of turning the barrel to contact. The alternative of course is to not turn the barrel to contact … to drag the barrel.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Tom/five do you have any drills that specifically work on turning the barrel?

It is 1 of 2 off season goals to work toward in my dd's swing, and just showing her gifs of Hamilton (her fav) helps a lot, but a drill or two could help reinforce it to her and other girls. In the quest to stop her from flattening the barrel I had to do the drill where you swing with the barrel resting in the base of your neck, it only took a couple of swings to see that is not what were looking for.

May 31, 2012
I've been reading a lot posts about turning the barrel to contact. Is the goal palm up palm down at contact ? My DD has some bat drag and tends to flatten the barrel( point barrel towards catcher) during the swing. Any way one of you guys could post a slo mo video of turning barrel to contact. Thanks.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I've been reading a lot posts about turning the barrel to contact. Is the goal palm up palm down at contact ? My DD has some bat drag and tends to flatten the barrel( point barrel towards catcher) during the swing. Any way one of you guys could post a slo mo video of turning barrel to contact. Thanks.

Miggy_Hands.gif

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA