DD Bat Drag ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
kent2b.gif

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Words from Mudvnine:
This is the key difference between most amateur and high level hitters in my opinion . . . is their hip pulling or pushing their hands to the ball and does their bat have a "running start" to the ball or are they simply yanking it through the zone?

High level hitters pull the hands/barrel with their rear hip and get a "running start" with the bat/barrel prior to that pull . . . the vast majority of amateur hitters do neither, some may try to get one , but are not able to get the other and that leads to the improper barrel path.

My suggestions:
2 Drills may help learning the proper barrel path. Split grip swings on the bat and throwing the bat.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Mud :torque starts perpendicular out of the tip (or vertical handset) and then is pulled to "parallel" by the properly timed/synced rear.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Mud again:
I view proper separation as a precursor to flattening the hands . . . so, regardless of how a hitter gets his hands flat (and I understand there are various thoughts on that concept), he should not start to do so until as he's just reaching max separation, so as to allow the rear hip to "grab/pull" the now flattening hands from the "fully stretched" launch position . . .

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
2lddaj7.gif

Is that initial movement parallel or perpendicular??
The direction of the barrel when the shaft stays close to the shoulder is more toward the dugout, behind the hitter. That is how the bat flattens in Bonds, Kent and other ML hitters. It is a flattening move that keeps the arc tight, directionally correct. The interpretation by some of the hitters is to turn the hands over sending the barrel the "wrong" rearward. Wrong being directly at the catcher. That is parallel to the pitch, not perpendicular to it.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I've been reading a lot posts about turning the barrel to contact. Is the goal palm up palm down at contact ? My DD has some bat drag and tends to flatten the barrel( point barrel towards catcher) during the swing. Any way one of you guys could post a slo mo video of turning barrel to contact. Thanks.

There was a frisbee drill that I first learned from HI. IMO that drill gives a good feel for how one captures transition of the barrel, as well as promotes hand usage. Can't stress enough about the importance of learning how to capture transition of the barrel ... master that and you've mastered a big portion of the swing issues often posted here at DFP.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Words from Mudvnine:
This is the key difference between most amateur and high level hitters in my opinion . . . is their hip pulling or pushing their hands to the ball and does their bat have a "running start" to the ball or are they simply yanking it through the zone?

High level hitters pull the hands/barrel with their rear hip and get a "running start" with the bat/barrel prior to that pull . . . the vast majority of amateur hitters do neither, some may try to get one , but are not able to get the other and that leads to the improper barrel path.

My suggestions:
2 Drills may help learning the proper barrel path. Split grip swings on the bat and throwing the bat.

IMO, when you learn to connect the gears ... the lateral scrunch (cause of lateral tilt), with the upper rear leg, then you will feel what Mud speaks of here as the hip pulling the hands.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA