DD Bat Drag ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2012
Miggy_Hands.gif

One thing I have noticed while watching "some" mlb hitters is that they get their back elbow back and above their hands during the stride. The elbow seems to reach its highest point (back and above hands) at toe touch. Bryce Harper for example, I believe does this. When the elbow is up and behind the hands while hip/shoulder rotation begins it forces the hands to stay connected to the shoulders longer until the rear elbow begins to slot. The hands are briefly locked into this position and can not physically drop until the back elbow gets below the hands. So as the shoulders turn, the rear elbow being high and behind hands moves the hands towards the ball as the back elbow slots. The high back elbow position at toe touch also seems to move the hands slightly up when the back elbow is trying to slot during shoulder rotation. This slight upward movement of the hands also seems as if it would help prevent bat drag.

Let me know what you think about this observation.

Thx,
BatDragon

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Batdragon ... (sorry, just found your screen name interesting) ... the early role of the shoulders is to resist the rotation in the direction towards the pitcher. That is important in terms of getting the desired initial action (lateral tilting action, etc.).

Oct 26, 2012
Batdragon ... (sorry, just found your screen name interesting) ... the early role of the shoulders is to resist the rotation in the direction towards the pitcher. That is important in terms of getting the desired initial action (lateral tilting action, etc.).

Yes, I tell my daughter we are trying to kill the Bat Dragon. She is 9 ... and originally thought it was funny... but we have been fighting him for a while... so not as funny anymore :)

Does it make sense, that you can't drop your hands while your back elbow is above/behind them ? So if your back elbow is above/behind your hands a toe touch, you are more likely not to drop your hands and drag your bat if you have proper hip/shoulder rotation because your real elbow is forcing your hands to stay connected... Do you agree with that ?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
9uvpl5.gif

1. This was a suggestion by FFS to help my DD with sort of the same problem. I hope it helps?
This alone ... the transition from 'stance' to 'launch' ... is something worth practicing nightly for 10-min/night for 2wks. Can't emphasize enough how getting this portion perfected can lead to a healthy repeatable swing.

Extra brownie points if you can arrive at the launch position with the shoulders angled downward.

Do you see how Cabrera turns his lead leg in during the beginning of the transition ... what Ted Williams referred to as a front knee cock ... that is something that I treasure in a swing ... and for me, I treat it as an absolute. That action is semi-present in Laura's swing ... but could be improved. It's almost as if she wants to perform a front knee cock, but doesn't know about it. When you have this lead knee cocking action ... then you will better understand what people mean by "lead side resistance" ... by "falling forward" ... by "leaning into it".

rdbrear sure this is fitting for me most of the time.haha

Last edited:
T

theaddition

My DD has some bat drag and tends to flatten the barrel( point barrel )

You just nailed it.
The one thing all "bat draggers" have in common (flaw) is what you just stated.
I'll bet your DD first move with the upper body is she'll flatten the bat (palm up/palm down) behind her.
it's all about eliminating the premature palmup/palm down is the "bat dragger's" swing.
As coach Cohen said (or something close)in his video:
pay attention to the shaft to shoulder position. Look at the Bonds photo as henears "the corner".
Or for a good bat drag photo at the "near's the corner" position, look at RHC's avatar. You'll notice how the guy in the photo is already palm up/palm down, when he should still be somewhat top hand's palm facing the pitcher but absolutely not PU/PD.
That is the major hurdle IMO.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
You'll win the battle. Consider what bat drag is ... it is basically the pulling/dragging of the barrel along the barrel's length. One view point to consider is that a barrel that is being turned is not being dragged.

Your daughter dropping her hands here (below) is indeed problematic.

w1fdsm.gif

So don't do that. I say that in jest ... because that is not how you talk to an athlete. You don't tell an athlete "what not to do", you tell an athlete "what to do". As a first experiment I asked you to have her "turn the barrel to contact" ... and to have that mindset much earlier.

6zlw0i.jpg

To answer your question ... the "hand path" works downwards. From a feel perspective, the hands will feel like they are following a straight path towards where they will end up at impact.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Here is the frisbee drill I referred to earlier. The GIF contains two demonstrations ... incorrect and correct ... the first demonstration would be an example of dragging the barrel (and yes, 'drag' can exist without failing the RVP connection checkpoint), the second demonstration is meant to be more along the lines of turning the barrel. It's a good drill to help feel the gear action.

znuazn.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Let me say this another way ....

If you don't want to drag the barrel, then turn it.

You have control of the object in your hands.

If you wish to have the mindset that the hands are doing nothing ... then that's fine ... simply treat your hands as a sensor while using your body in a manner that turns the barrel.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC