DBSFA-(Drop-Barrel-Swing-Flat-Anonymous) a FFF thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
It is clear that you don't mind thinking outside the box, so I will offer you another idea. I have a feeling some others will blast me for this one.... :)

I am sure you are familiar with SnF. Have her set up in the regular SnF stance but challenge her to place the focus on working her hands. I realize this drill is not designed as a "hands drill", but I have found it to be effective. As she is doing it, ask her to pay attention to what her hands are doing, and the path that her hands and the barrel are taking. Gradually reduce the angle at which she is standing, while asking her to maintain the same feeling with her hands during each step.

I'm past the point of worrying about being blasted...if I show up on Dick's blog, so be it. It's not like I don't know what needs to be done or don't get in the box myself.

SNF is pretty regular for us...we start here:
SnFDrill.gif

Then the 45* version:
RagCagtake_zps04c027ad.gif

I'll change her focus to her hands and certain hand pressures and see what happens...thanks for the suggestion!

CP

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
CB,

Thanks.

Your support over the last few months has been priceless to myself and DD2. We do the slow motion WGD 3x's a week. We keep it light and fun and she is certainly becoming more acutely aware of her body and barrel position but we are still early in the journey...thanks again...CP

JJ
Quick response after viewing the three videos. It may be as simple as ball contact point. In the first two videos the ball is way to deep at contact....DD is all bound up and doesn't have the distance needed to get on the plane of the pitch. In the third front toss video the contact point is out front....she is on plane beautifully.
Are you doing drills like hitting off a deep tee thinking that is where the contact point is for an outside pitch????? Might want to simplify things and work on a pitch down the middle with the tee in the middle of the zone about 6" infront of where the stride foot lands.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Rick-

I wish I had a scatter plot of her hits so far this season....it's a running joke that she is using only 15 feet of fair territory from the 3rd base line towards short. she is definitely a pull hitter and gets them out front like in the more recent clip. The video with the red shirt is older and she did used to let them get too deep sometimes. That never happens now. I constantly try to get her to let the ball travel more but still it goes down the third base line. I think part of it is just adjusting to pitching at 40 feet instead of 35. she played against some very good 10u teams just month ago so she is timed to 50 mph at 35 feet and now in 12u friendlies she is seeing the same speed (usually slower) but from 40feet.

As far as tee work goes she works in, out and down the middle on a regular basis.

someone suggested via pm that since everything she does is early, that it creates a timing issue in her sequence where she has time to kill and that is why she allows the barrel dropping in game swings but not in practice. I think there is a lot of truth in that...thoughts?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
It's hard to have a good hand path when the lower body is still in the way. Create the separation and then there's room for the hands to work.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Rick-

I wish I had a scatter plot of her hits so far this season....it's a running joke that she is using only 15 feet of fair territory from the 3rd base line towards short. she is definitely a pull hitter and gets them out front like in the more recent clip. The video with the red shirt is older and she did used to let them get too deep sometimes. That never happens now. I constantly try to get her to let the ball travel more but still it goes down the third base line. I think part of it is just adjusting to pitching at 40 feet instead of 35. she played against some very good 10u teams just month ago so she is timed to 50 mph at 35 feet and now in 12u friendlies she is seeing the same speed (usually slower) but from 40feet.

As far as tee work goes she works in, out and down the middle on a regular basis.

someone suggested via pm that since everything she does is early, that it creates a timing issue in her sequence where she has time to kill and that is why she allows the barrel dropping in game swings but not in practice. I think there is a lot of truth in that...thoughts?

[video]http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/7417714/v509732083/actor-dash-mihok-joins-the-guys-live-on-mlb-central/?c_id=mlb[/video]

There is a girl I work with on DD1's team that we added the toe tap into her motion and it made a huge difference in her sequence...CP

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
JJ...

Chipper's dad added the toe tap as a timing mechanism...might help your DD from only using 15 feet of the field...

Standard stance...front leg moves back towards rear leg and THEN the lead leg moves back out towards the pitcher as you move forward into the swing...CP

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
We haven't done the Braun progression in a while but I'll add it back in when we hit this weekend.

Thanks!

CP

CP, a similar thing I am doing with my hitters but I think a good thing is to put a couple of targets on a hitting net, wall, fence or whatever and have you dd do a very basic drill. Standing with her shoulders parallel to the wall/net/whatever, have her do a tip and rip action kind of like Braun is doing only her shoulders would be different as they are parallel to the wall/net/whatever. The top of the bat is to be tipped at the high target for the top of the bat. From there you also have a target which is a horizontal line taped to a wall/net ... So, the top of the bat is tipped and then the barrel is turned past the ear and brought to match that horizontal line. Man, I hope this makes sense. Anyway, we start very slow and then progressed to doing it faster. I don't have video of BB doing this and wish I did. I looks awkward at first because the shoulders are different. However, when the hitter gets the concept, I then have them stand as if in the box and use the same targets. They catch on pretty fast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55