DBSFA-(Drop-Barrel-Swing-Flat-Anonymous) a FFF thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
referring back to that post from Cliff...(I dare not quote it for fear that it will invite more)

If this confused anyone that is learning about this issue and trying to identify it, I wanted to explain what exactly I see as the issue on that swing.

If you watch the clip you will see a big difference in the leveling action between the front toss and the game swing in my kid's swing. Yes it as a high pitch in the game swing so it is not as noticeable but you can see how she starts to level her hands and bat and if the pitch were lower the elevator would have just gone down more and it would be more obvious. In the front toss the bat does not level out prior to launch and you can see she tilts her body (hard to see from that angle, but after the swing you can see the un-tilting action so you know she had some spine angle during the swing).

I go back to the low pitch I was talking about and zone coverage. If this were a low inside pitch in the game and she got in that position she would have had no chance to hit it fair with any power.

Poor leveling is not just the hands lowering, it is the bat angle getting flat in a slo manner before launch, it is "scrunching and staying upright" instead of using upper body tilt to get the right bat path for balls lower in the zone.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Not sure who the 'player' is in the middle pane (not trying to be mean) but, not doing what the other 2 hitters are doing. Barrel/bat does not remain on the rear shoulder and follow the rotation of the shoulders around. Hitters on the left and right are using their hands to 'turn the barrel to the ball'. I had my DD use a vertical bat to 45 degree bat position. I would constantly off a tee remind her 'get the bat more vertical'. I had her doing the 'command drill' before I even knew of that drill. I would say 'go' and watch the path of the barrel. Their should be no hesitation or dropping of the barrel. The barrel should go 'straight'(in an arc) to the ball. To this day I still will remind DD to get the bat vertical.

I moved dd2 to the flattened shoulder position simply because telling her "vertical vertical vertical" made her DBSF worse. It was the definition of insanity.

CP

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Sorry but, it's a band-aide until a hitter learns to use their hands 'correctly'. Again JMHO.

Rich,

No need to apologize. I'm simply trying to have her start with the barrel in different spots so as to bring about barrel awareness.

...and to JJ's point in starting this thread - regardless of what we say/do/demonstrate/show gifs, etc...hell I stand behind her with 1" PVC at a spot about 6" above and behind her shoulder with the idea of NOT flattening the bat and hitting the PVC...

We're at the point where this is our sole focus...this needs to get fixed this off-season...

This is from tonight...non-flattened starting position...

whzb4h.gif

Got any other cues to try? I'm all ears....CP

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
...and to JJ's point in starting this thread - regardless of what we say/do/demonstrate/show gifs, etc...hell I stand behind her with 1" PVC at a spot about 6" above and behind her shoulder with the idea of NOT flattening the bat and hitting the PVC...

We're at the point where this is our sole focus...this needs to get fixed this off-season...

It is clear that you don't mind thinking outside the box, so I will offer you another idea. I have a feeling some others will blast me for this one.... :)

I am sure you are familiar with SnF. Have her set up in the regular SnF stance but challenge her to place the focus on working her hands. I realize this drill is not designed as a "hands drill", but I have found it to be effective. As she is doing it, ask her to pay attention to what her hands are doing, and the path that her hands and the barrel are taking. Gradually reduce the angle at which she is standing, while asking her to maintain the same feeling with her hands during each step.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
CP, when I worked with BB, we did a lot of work with a bat on her shoulder. Also, in her "fall back swing," she puts the bat on her shoulder. She hit 3 or 4 bombs doing that. So, you are just fine doing that as a part of your journey. Little steps along the path of a long journey.

Attachments

• IMG_2798.jpg
    IMG_2798.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 328

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad