Daughters team is moving up. Should we as well?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2008
My 13 year old daughter pitches for a 14U team that just came off around 70 games this year (ASA and USSSA), ending with a trip to the USSSA World Series.

Half of her team will be playing high school ball this fall (freshman and a couple of sophmores), so she won't be playing with them, as she is going into the 8th grade. Then, in the spring, they will be playing 16U. Daughter has been invited to play up with them. The coach has been really good about the pitchers staying in a rotation, and keeping them there, unless the other team would start crushing them.

My question is, should she stay down in 14U to get more experience? She already practices at 43'. And, the team played in an 18U league for extra practice.

Also, my daughter and I want her to kind of have fun this fall. Don't get me wrong, she loves softball, I have tried to get her to quit, and she won't. It's just a rigorous schedule.

She will play volleyball for her school. She wants to play fall league with her friends, just to have some fun. It is more competitive than the spring league, but still, no where near travel ball. My main concern is there are quite a few teams having tryouts soon, and I don't want her to miss out. Opinions?

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Question about your location--are you in a state that allows people to play travel ball and HS at the same time? Many TB teams are forced to take the HS season off from tournaments in some states (California is one, for instance) because you can not do both at the same time. Here, it is not an issue. But if she isn't playing HS softball, is all of that downtime going to effect her game whereas if she was playing with a 14U team she would be practicing non-stop and playing in tourneys?

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I have tried to get her to quit, and she won't.

She wants to play fall league with her friends, just to have some fun.

You already have the answer to your question. Youth sports is not about you, it is about the youth.

It is our job as parents to guide our children in the decisions that they make. Have you asked your daughter what she wants to do in the spring? Does she want to stay at 14U? Does she want to play up with her team (is she a good enough player for that)? Where does she want to go with softball? If she wants to play in college she needs to be guided in the right direction (no, 13 is not too young to be thinking about that).

Good luck with this, I am the father of a 14YO pitcher and helping her make decisions has been the most difficult thing I have ever done.

Dec 19, 2008
It's a tough decision. This will be the last year she can play another school sport if she sticks with softball, as volleyball runs the same time, and she hates basketball and track.

Here in Missouri, you cannot play school ball and travel at the same time.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Here in Missouri, you cannot play school ball and travel at the same time.
So are the girls on the 16U TB team going to play school ball or are they going to stick to travel. I know a lot of girls in areas where you can't do both at the same time pick TB over school ball.

Dec 19, 2008
So are the girls on the 16U TB team going to play school ball or are they going to stick to travel. I know a lot of girls in areas where you can't do both at the same time pick TB over school ball.

Nope. They are going to play high school ball. They all go to different high schools, ones that my daughter will compete against next year.

My daughter is serious about her pitching, but knows that realistically this will be her last year to play multiple sports. Also, she will turn 14 at the end of November, which makes her young going into the spring. If she moves up to 16U, she could/would be pitching against 17 year olds. Now, I'm not a rocket surgeon, but I know there is a huge difference between a 14 year old and a 17 year old in tearms of athletic ability, mental toughness, and just overall smartness. So, that is why I have concerns.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Nope. They are going to play high school ball. They all go to different high schools, ones that my daughter will compete against next year.

My daughter is serious about her pitching, but knows that realistically this will be her last year to play multiple sports. Also, she will turn 14 at the end of November, which makes her young going into the spring. If she moves up to 16U, she could/would be pitching against 17 year olds. Now, I'm not a rocket surgeon, but I know there is a huge difference between a 14 year old and a 17 year old in tearms of athletic ability, mental toughness, and just overall smartness. So, that is why I have concerns.

I completely missed the fact that your state is one of those weird ones that plays HS softball in the fall. I know you stated that in the first post, but somehow I missed that detail.

If she was to find a competitive 14U travel team, that would give her the opportunity to work on her skills at a serious level during the fall vs. playing in the fall league with her friends. Ultimately, it is up to her. From what I've read, I think it's a better move to find a 14U TB team to put her on so she can develop at 14U level, because she will most likely be rocked by some of the 16U hitters if she is the average 14U pitcher. I think that leaving her down at 14U will allow her more time to develop her pitching.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Now, I'm not a rocket surgeon, but I know there is a huge difference between a 14 year old and a 17 year old in tearms of athletic ability, mental toughness, and just overall smartness. So, that is why I have concerns.

IMHO, 14U isn't very competitive. It is cute, but it is much, much less competitive than 16U and 18U. Yes, your DD will be shelled by 16U hitters until she learns how to pitch. But, having her go out and strike out a bunch of 14U kids isn't a challenge.

If her coach thinks she is ready to play 16U, and she thinks she is ready to play 16U, then she should do it.

My DD pitched two 14U games in her life. Everything after 12YOA was 16U or 18U. The pitchers I know who were successful in college (i.e., played rather than sat the bench) skipped 14U ball.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Now I'll have to respectfully oppose Sluggers post. Seen a bunch of 14u teams this year from our area that would and have mopped the floor with 16/18u. Times and pitching distance have changed. Yes, a few years ago a good 16u pitcher working speed and movement at 40' was successful. Now 16U at 43' , it takes movement and a great defense to handle the hits. That's why all the data shows the increase in hits at the extra 3'.

Just like in HS pitching, you CAN NOT COMPARE stats from 40' of old to the new standard of 43'. The advantage now is to the batter. At least until a female fully matures in the college level with power, speed, and experience.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach