Daughters batting Progress

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
One thing you can focus on in the Justin Stone drill, with regards to what your DD is doing at the moment, is the part where he mentions (at around 5:00) controlling the speed of your move forward.
My 9YO has issues with this "panic-like" stride/move forward as well.

As Eric stated improving is a slow process at this age. If you take videos every session and expect big improvements from one session to the next you are setting yourself up for disappointment. You can
take them if you want, but don't obsess over them like I did.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
One thing you can focus on in the Justin Stone drill, with regards to what your DD is doing at the moment, is the part where he mentions (at around 5:00) controlling the speed of your move forward.

The rear leg controls the move forward. Start early and slow.

I thought this was an interesting approach to helping a hitter understand this concept...https://www.instagram.com/p/BnuM3iSnNU-/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Oct 2, 2017
She's over-cooking it. She's trying to pull it all back so she can bring it all forward. The reach with her front leg at this point isn't really affecting the all-back/all-forward intent in her movement pattern. Pay attention to the relationship of the head to the rear hip during the stride phase. In a good swing, the head will not get behind the rear hip the way she is doing.

This is my DD (decent swings, but still some areas to work on)...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7eL2zUHpsg
She uses a tap-back as a timing mechanism. In this move she is gathering back into and around her rear hip and rear leg, before she strides forward to create stretch/tension to launch the swing. She isn't shifting her knee/torso/head outside of the rear foot. During the stride phase, her head and torso are moving forward until foot-down.

Thinks for the video. I see what you are talking about with the head getting over the rear hip. Could that be helped with maybe having her stance spread out a little further or knees in a little. that way it keeps he weight more in between her feet? I also know just having her be more conscious of it during practice with lots of reps.

Oct 2, 2017

As Eric stated improving is a slow process at this age. If you take videos every session and expect big improvements from one session to the next you are setting yourself up for disappointment. You can
take them if you want, but don't obsess over them like I did.

Thanks, I have asked if she feels rushed before when up to bat or batting in general. She did say she feels rushed. I have noticed using the Justin Stone drill, that at times its a full blast jerk forward because she is trying to go fast and hard, instead of a fluid smooth stride.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thinks for the video. I see what you are talking about with the head getting over the rear hip. Could that be helped with maybe having her stance spread out a little further or knees in a little. that way it keeps he weight more in between her feet? I also know just having her be more conscious of it during practice with lots of reps.

Setting the rear foot with the toes turned in just a little can be helpful for some hitters. Getting them to understand the feeling of keeping their weight from getting outside their rear foot is important. I have had success with instructing them to not let their knee turn rearward. Keep the knee pressing forward as the hips turn back to create twisting tension in the thigh and hip.

That said, getting a 7yo to feel tension can sometimes be a real challenge.

Oct 2, 2017
Agreed, there are other tee drills (hover drill for example) which can be used to help understand this concept. That said, once they get it down off the tee there is little guarantee
that the "panic" move won't set in again when a moving ball is thrown at them
...It is a process :cool:

My daughter is that way. She can do really great off of a tee. But you add ball movement from a pitch, a lot of it goes out the window LOL! I think because in their mind its not about mechanics, they are in anticipation overdrive to just hit the ball. Especially at this younger age. Until they can control their mental capacity to relax.

Jun 8, 2016
My daughter is that way. She can do really great off of a tee. But you add ball movement from a pitch, a lot of it goes out the window LOL! I think because in their mind its not about mechanics, they are in anticipation overdrive to just hit the ball. Especially at this younger age. Until they can control their mental capacity to relax.

Yup, and the inability to relax will cause them to do things in games that they don't do in practice. Video below is my 9 YO hitting wiffles with me in the front yard. Second one is a game swing. A few days a part. Swing differs significantly in some major areas (less early leveling and better tempo imo in front yard, to name a few). Neither are perfect and neither are horrible....they are what they are for the moment :cool:

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
Yup, and the inability to relax will cause them to do things in games that they don't do in practice. Video below is my 9 YO hitting wiffles with me in the front yard. Second one is a game swing. A few days a part. Swing differs significantly in some major areas (less early leveling and better tempo imo in front yard, to name a few). Neither are perfect and neither are horrible....they are what they are for the moment :cool:

Awesome! video thanks for sharing. The sound at the end sounded like trouble LOL! I need to buys some wiffle balls myself.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles