daughters back injury

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
A couple of things to add...

1) You should definitely keep doing preventive exercises especially core exercises. Could be worth it to look into getting a trainer.

2) There is a biomechanics professor with expertise in softball at U of Manitoba - Marion Alexander

3) Keep a good line of communication between her PC and the therapist in terms of what she has, it can help.

4) Always do a very good warm-up and proper cool-down with stretching exercises.

Coach Marc

Mar 13, 2010
I've had a shoulder injury for about two years now. The MOMENT I stop doing my physio exercises is the moment it flares back up again. I had an off season this year and was in agony after my first time pitching (and that was purely rolling my arm over)

Keep up the exercises the doc has given her. It won't hurt her to do them.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
OK I just re-read all the posts on this thread.

To heck with the PT and Dr trying to diagnose her MECHANICS! What is her injury and how did thay come to that determination? Before therapy can be advised or prescribed, THEY HAVE TO HAVE A DIAGNOSIS OF WHAT THEY ARE TREATING HER FOR. A sharp PT can put her through some very specific excersises to ASSIST the doctor in the final dignosis. Excersizes that will isolat certain muscles and areas that are affected. If they have NOT done this, you are getting played by your insurance company that does NOT want to find out there is an injury that might call for more expensive test, treatments, etc.

Nothing in pitching should cause pain. You need to get her to SOMEONE (a doctor) that WILL find out what is wrong with her body, It obviously hasnt gone away with a little time. If there is something serious starting to happen, she may just be getting the early warning signs. A spinal stress fracture in the lumbar spine starts out as a sore lower back.

Do your job as a parent and get her dignosed. Dont accept anything less as the answer to what her INJURY is..

Jun 13, 2009
Where is the injury? Lower back? I remember an article Bill Hillhouse did on this, how it's common among pitchers to get low back injury primarily from living in cold weather places and pitching in gyms 7 months out of the year. The pounding the body takes from landing on concrete, gym floors is astounding. This is also why basketball players get so much patella tendonitis, from landing on the floor alot.

Sep 1, 2010
daughters "injury"

Hi I don't know if you go to chiropractic care at all. My daughter started going when she was 5 as her first sport was tae-kwon-do. If you are unfamiliar with martial arts it is extremely important as they really put a lot of stress on joints and joints move especially during growth. Now that she pitches she still has to go to chiro at least once a month. She gets both hips adjusted and her mid back as the windmill motion can throw out some vertebrea as well. He gets a lot of movement out of her and as long as she stretches and keeps working out her core all of her pain goes away once we leave the office. She is 16. A lot of doctors don't like chiropractic care but a lot of physiotherapists will recommend it if she has never gone before. You will be amazed! And in the long run she will not end up with long term joint issues if she is being adjusted regularly.

May 7, 2008
DFW
OK I just re-read all the posts on this thread.

To heck with the PT and Dr trying to diagnose her MECHANICS! What is her injury and how did they come to that determination? Before therapy can be advised or prescribed, THEY HAVE TO HAVE A DIAGNOSIS OF WHAT THEY ARE TREATING HER FOR. A sharp PT can put her through some very specific exercises to ASSIST the doctor in the final diagnosis. Exercises that will isolate certain muscles and areas that are affected. If they have NOT done this, you are getting played by your insurance company that does NOT want to find out there is an injury that might call for more expensive test, treatments, etc.

Nothing in pitching should cause pain. You need to get her to SOMEONE (a doctor) that WILL find out what is wrong with her body, It obviously hasn't gone away with a little time. If there is something serious starting to happen, she may just be getting the early warning signs. A spinal stress fracture in the lumbar spine starts out as a sore lower back.

Do your job as a parent and get her diagnosed. Don't accept anything less as the answer to what her INJURY is..

Without being as animated as Hal I agree with what he is saying here. ;) This may not have anything to do with her pitching mechanics. It could be a simple case of overuse. Of course if her motion is like Monica Abbotts then I might have to reconsider. (Tongue planted firmly in cheek) Best to get the x-ray and MRI done to make sure there is no real structural damage to the vertebrate or disk of the back.

May 8, 2009
Florida
Please take your daughter to an orthopeadic doctor. You need to access what the root cause of the pain is. In my daughters case (not saying this is the same) it was a fracture of the weak area of her lumbar vertabrae - something which is very common with young adults who constantaly hyper extend the spine (gymnastics, karate, and yes, pitching). She did have very similar symptoms. Treated, it will heal. Untreated will cause more problems than you want. Hopefully it is something simple, but I am not a doctor. Let a real doctor handle it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877