Daughter wanting to change teams

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 17, 2019
Not offering an opinion one way or another but the social aspect might be an Issue. 14 year olds talk about different thing then 11 year olds. 14U was when at least 1 boyfriend started coming to games.
I found the biggest gap was between 1st year 14u (middle school) and 2nd year (high school). Second year 14u was the first time the girls started talking back to coach, stating their opinions. First time girls start swearing at practice. Then there's the social aspect of their conversations ...

Jan 28, 2017
Social maturity is a big deal as far as moving up, IMO. My DD always played up on the better teams in our area until 14U. She could pitch at the HS level at 14 but struggled hitting so she stayed down on good 14U teams to get at bats. Each journey is different.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
I found the biggest gap was between 1st year 14u (middle school) and 2nd year (high school). Second year 14u was the first time the girls started talking back to coach, stating their opinions. First time girls start swearing at practice. Then there's the social aspect of their conversations ...
My DDs team was first year 14u last summer, and their colorful language was the cause of some pearl clutching Facebook posts after a big regional. Other teams mom overheard a pregame “let’s kick their f*** a***” and couldn’t believe such words could come from the mouths of young ladies.

Jun 1, 2015
Other teams mom overheard a pregame “let’s kick their f*** a***” and couldn’t believe such words could come from the mouths of young ladies.

Meanwhile, I'm sure some of those parents had no problem dropping a few of those choice words among the other parents over the umpires' calls from the foul lines/outfield fences. :p I often wonder how many softball parents I've seen over the years know the actual definition of the word "hypocrite".

Nov 22, 2019
I have a 2010 Daughter playing on a 2010 12C team she is there number 1 catcher. Her current team is having trouble with a few girls quitting, and having trouble finding new ones. I had a Coach of a 2009 team reach out to me about my daughter trying out for his team, she did and he ask her to come practice with the team this weekend. My daughter and her mother an I set down the other night to talk about her options. I told her it was her choice if she wanted to leave her team for this one. She told me she was afraid that her current team may break up and she wouldnt have a team to play on as this is what happen in 10u and we had to start over with another team and she thinks she wants to switch. This new team is a second year 12u team so they will have to move up to 14u next season, he told me she would be able to move up with them if she wanted to. I was wanting to get some opinion on only playing 1 season of 12u and moving to 14u. I know she is capable of playing at the level with no problem. Just a little nervous for her to make a decision on her own I guess.

It’s January, she doesn’t have to commit to the fall 2022 season now. See how the spring/summer season goes with the new team. She’ll always have the option of going to tryouts ahead of next season whether it be for this team or a 12-u team.

Dec 19, 2021
DD1 played 1 spring season of 12u ball (coming from rec) on a brand new team with mostly new-to-travel players before the team moved up to 14u in the fall. Didn't seem to hurt anyone moving up. They weren't overwhelmed, but the new level was a little rocky as far as wins go, which is to be expected. The one younger player, who hadn't hit her growth spurt yet, did stay at 12u.

Jul 14, 2018
I have a 2010 Daughter playing on a 2010 12C team she is there number 1 catcher. Her current team is having trouble with a few girls quitting, and having trouble finding new ones.

Here’s something to ponder before deciding to move up. If your DD is on a C-level team that can’t hold on to players, how does she measure up to her teammates? Is she a total beast, head-and-shoulders above her teammates in all aspects of the game? If you’re jumping from 12C to 14U, has she ever caught pitches that come in 50 mph+ or have a lot of movement? That’s what she’s likely to see at the next step.

If you answered yes, go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 24, 2021
Here’s something to ponder before deciding to move up. If your DD is on a C-level team that can’t hold on to players, how does she measure up to her teammates? Is she a total beast, head-and-shoulders above her teammates in all aspects of the game? If you’re jumping from 12C to 14U, has she ever caught pitches that come in 50 mph+ or have a lot of movement? That’s what she’s likely to see at the next step.

If you answered yes, go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
She is not moving to 14u till next season the team is moving to is still a 12u team just a B level. she has caught 50+mph. We have been to a couple of practices with the new team and she is doing pretty good with them.

Oct 4, 2014
My daughter started travel ball at 10 playing on a first year 12U team. The important part is to know your kid and their wants and ability. Be honest. I was fortunate that my daughter thrived playing with girls that were all a little older. At the end of her second year of 14u ( technically her first as age goes), we discussed possibly playing a third year of 14's as opposed to staying with the team she was on at the time. We decided to stay a third year at 14's, change originazatons, shoot for the moon and wow. There was no doubt that that third year in 14's was a game changer. She was very dominant and grew a confidence in a way I never anticipated. That in turn, resulted in a phenomenal 16u year that got her pulled up into a starting rotation catching a very well known and successful 18u team as a 16 year old. This is just how it worked out for us. We are very lucky that she had the want, ability and desire................. so hell yeah! Play up! She's got nothing to lose! Keep it fun!

I wrote this with humble intentions. As I said we are lucky. Push her with love and support and remember it's a game. My philosophy was, if its not fun we're done. By keeping it fun they thrive and at the end of the day it's her game not yours!😀

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13