Daughter wanting to change teams

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 24, 2021
I have a 2010 Daughter playing on a 2010 12C team she is there number 1 catcher. Her current team is having trouble with a few girls quitting, and having trouble finding new ones. I had a Coach of a 2009 team reach out to me about my daughter trying out for his team, she did and he ask her to come practice with the team this weekend. My daughter and her mother an I set down the other night to talk about her options. I told her it was her choice if she wanted to leave her team for this one. She told me she was afraid that her current team may break up and she wouldnt have a team to play on as this is what happen in 10u and we had to start over with another team and she thinks she wants to switch. This new team is a second year 12u team so they will have to move up to 14u next season, he told me she would be able to move up with them if she wanted to. I was wanting to get some opinion on only playing 1 season of 12u and moving to 14u. I know she is capable of playing at the level with no problem. Just a little nervous for her to make a decision on her own I guess.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The "play up" question is big, but I have seen lots of players do just fine playing up. If she can handle the level of play, and she's not significantly small for her age, it probably won't be an issue. At her age, I would put the most stock into what she wants to do, and what she feels comfortable with. My DD's entire TB journey - which started at 10U - has been based on what she wanted. There were times I made strong suggestions, but they final decision I put in her hands.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I would let her do it. It is not that big of a jump. I would make sure you had a clear understanding about playing time.

My DD (Ohio U.) went from 12U rec to 16U TB. Samantha Findlay (Michigan) played mostly 18U at 12YOA.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
If she isn't at a huge physical disadvantage, one year of 12U followed by 14U isn't a big deal. Besides, that's a decision that you don't really have to make until next year. If her current team appears unstable, this isn't a hard call.

Feb 24, 2021
Playing time was one of the main question I asked I was told she will be the main catcher and he has 1 back up catcher. As for her size she right at 5'5" and about 140 pounds so I am not to worried about the size. I guess I was just looking for a little reassurance that I was doing the right thing letting her move to a 2009 team

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Playing time was one of the main question I asked I was told she will be the main catcher and he has 1 back up catcher. As for her size she right at 5'5" and about 140 pounds so I am not to worried about the size. I guess I was just looking for a little reassurance that I was doing the right thing letting her move to a 2009 team

Your DD is bigger than most of the players on my DD's 18U team - LOL. Only you and your DD can determine what the "right" thing is. There are plenty of examples of girls playing up an age (or 2) and being successful. As long as she's getting good playing time, is a good fit with the team, is developing her skills, and - most importantly - is having fun, it should be just fine.

Jun 8, 2016
It should be ok if YOU have seen them play and YOU feel your DD will be competitive (regardless of what the coach said). My Sept 2009 DD has been playing on an 08 TB team since she started playing TB.

May 1, 2018
So while she is an appropiate size to play 2nd yr 12u and 14u. I wouldn't rush jumping into 14u. You have a season to figure out if this is the right team for her. Is she a top half of the order player? Is she going to get the reps at catcher?
Now I'm not a fan of playing up an age group and playing C. Rather stay age appropriate and play A ball.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Sounds like changing teams is the right move. The question is, is this new team the right fit? Maybe check locally and see if any other teams are looking for a catcher (they all are). Tryout or guest at a practice or two and see if you have a third or fourth option.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478