Daughter punished by coaches this past weekend

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 29, 2013
Cecelia, Is there a chance you have "mom glasses" on while watching daughter?

Yeah, probably, but I am trying to be as objective as I can about this.

I do appreciate everyone's input about this. What I'm taking away from the discussion is that I should encourage my daughter to talk to her coach about what happened, apologize (even if she doesn't necessarily have to), and make sure she gives 150% all the time so she's valuable.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
"Coaching credentials" are symbolic in nature and in no way equate to any level of coaching competency. It means that someone deems you as qualified, it does not mean you have any idea what you are doing. If you can fog a mirror and sit through a Power Point you too can have "coaching credentials".

Last edited:
My DD back in her 1st yr 12u got picked up by a team for a tourney out of town she did not have a very good 1st day couldn't hit her spots, very inconsistent etc. couldn't hit the ball worth a crap either all n all a terrible first day well the next day the coach had her sitting on the bench (which she is not used too) and she was really upset by it and we were talking inbetween games the last day of the tourney, she was expressing how upset she was with not playing I took her aside and I asked her point blank with the way you are playing as a coach would you play yourself right now in this tournament? she reluctantly said "probably not" but from that Day forward it was a turning point for her she vowed not to feel like that again worked her butt off and as of now she is the #1 pitcher for that exact same team that picked her up that weekend.

Keep working. Get to her pitching coach and work up a new pitch, perhaps. (What ones does she throw, now?) And as always, work on her hitting. A coach will always play a hitter.

I agree with this 100%. My daughter is a pitcher as well. I've coached other sports and my daughter has played other sports as well. Coaches do things for different reasons. One thing I've always told my kid is that your play and attitude will dictate how your coaches will use you. I have no idea of the context or politics that you are dealing with on your team. My kid is a great pitcher but she has also not started all her games and had to come in and try to 'rescue' a game with statistics clearly showing she was the better pitcher in that game. Her coaches don't always use her as a starter because they also want to develop the other pitchers and give them a chance too. I always tell her - practice your pitching, work on your hitting and force the coaches to have no choice but to start you.

I am sorry your daughter is going through this. It sounds like she is a nice girl and the coaches have been a bit insensitive. My only suggestion is get to the park and get her to keep working on her pitches, work on her spin, velocity and placement. Force the coaches to have no choice but to go with the pitcher who can win them some games.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA