Dallas Escobedo

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
To somehow suggest that Dallas is not a Top 10 D1 pitcher is ludicruos. She is also one of the few pitchers that throw a low and high riseball, consistently.

The difference between a riseball and a high fastball is spin and release angle. Try catching a fastball with topspin and a riseball with backspin (or even some side spin) to the same location and you will know the difference.

BTW- a riseball doesn't rise but drops slower than a fastball. There, I said it......

I didn't say she wasn't in the top 10 I just said she is 55th on the ERA leaders. I also said that I would pick at least 5 who were better than her. She is good, no question. She had a good run 3 years ago and is sitting home right now.

Jul 14, 2008
does anyone have any video of Dallas in slow motion? i have always wanted to see how she throws her riseball

ipo2tg.gif

331kuud.gif

Hardly "bullet spin"...........You can clearly pick out the backspin mid-flight

a0dnxi.gif

Jul 14, 2008
I suspect most riseballs are some variation of spin other then "bullet" or "drop"...........And NONE are 6/12 except in 1/2 speed demo's where seam/spin manipulation is easier accomplished then at full speed arm rotation.........

Jun 7, 2013
I'd like to get BoardMember's opinion on her mechanics. It seems to me that when Cat Osterman throws a rise ball she is much more open. Dallas seems very closed. Which style to you believe is best?

Thanks!

Jul 26, 2010
How open or closed a pitcher can be depends a lot on their body structure. Cat Osterman is built much different then Dallas Escobedo, and she does not have the second impetus Dallas gets from the undulations of her midsection. It's really a thing to watch.

-W

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi