Daddies, don't let your babies grow up to be pitchers! (Serious Apologies to WN)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Simo

Former High School Coach
May 26, 2008
Dunkerton Iowa
Daddies, don't let your babies grow up to be pitchers
Don't let 'em throw curveballs, change ups and drops
Make 'em be catchers, play outfield or shortstop

Daddies, don't let your babies grow up to be pitchers
You’ll never be calm once the ball leaves their palm
Even while reciting the 23rd psalm

Pitchers ain't easy to teach and yes they will preach
And they'd rather give you a pain or knees with bloodstains
Bad arches and bruised shins

And as they run and skip to the mound
And if you don't understand her
The dance they call fast pitch continues to dumbfound

Daddies, don’t let your babies grow up to be pitchers
You’ll enjoy the game more though it may seem a bore
And the umpires calls you might even ignore

Daddies, don’t let your babies grow up to be pitchers
You’ll enjoy more the game, find less to moan
And sit in the bleacher’s with the rest of the bitcher’s
Instead of alone, beyond the fence, far from home

Simo

Former High School Coach
May 26, 2008
Dunkerton Iowa
I used to enjoy watching softball, and then my youngest daughter decided to be a pitcher. I am surprised I don't have an ulcer. Bad knees, shoulders and hips are enough. When my two older daughters played (outfield and first base), I used to go to the games, watch them make an occasional play and come up to bat 3-4 times a game. In between I could relax. With a pitcher on the mound you rarely relax, it kills you to sit behind the plate and you usually end up in a lounge chair down the line or in center field to avoid offending someone! This went on all through grade school, HS and 4 years of college.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I used to enjoy watching softball, and then my youngest daughter decided to be a pitcher. I am surprised I don't have an ulcer. Bad knees, shoulders and hips are enough. When my two older daughters played (outfield and first base), I used to go to the games, watch them make an occasional play and come up to bat 3-4 times a game. In between I could relax. With a pitcher on the mound you rarely relax, it kills you to sit behind the plate and you usually end up in a lounge chair down the line or in center field to avoid offending someone! This went on all through grade school, HS and 4 years of college.

I feel your pain. My DD was hurt ( rotator cuff ) the first few HS games. I had forgot how much I enjoyed just watching the game with no worries. Now that she has recovered and back on the 'hill', I'm a nervous wreck.

My wife always asks me "why do you even bring a chair, you never sit in it"? ( when DD is pitching ) :)

Simo

Former High School Coach
May 26, 2008
Dunkerton Iowa
LOL that reminds me of one college game in particular. We were up by one in the bottom of the 7th with one out and the bases loaded and a 3-2 count. I think I paced the entire perimeter of the outfield prior to getting out of the inning.

Oh God, I'm normal. This dad is the same. I just can't sit still. However, I am a good sideline parent. Our daughter is calm and cool in the circle and I'm the one pacing with nerves AND excitement. Phew....

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
When DD is not pitching she plays either 1st base or CF. Lots of action at 1st, less in CF. I do seem to enjoy those games more and stay in my chair.

DD does enjoy being in the circle, though it is not nearly as enjoyable for her parents. Mom sits with the mom's and Dad sits with either the dads or walks around a bit. Dad does not say a word when DD pitches - you might hear an occasonal "Nice hit" when she rips one at bat.

Jul 26, 2010
You can tell when a pitcher has "good softball parents" by how swollen their tongue is from their teeth digging into it in an attempt to refrain from saying anything outloud. The "bad softball parents" are the ones that can't keep their flap shut. Pacing can't be helped! ;)

-W

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad