D9 This weekend

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
and if you go 5-1 then the next year you can improve field/competition/etc.

well, that certainly is the carrot being dangled...
Not sure if this scenario is true, however.

Is a lights-out team of an "uknown" organization really going to bump a big-name team from the main fields based upon last year's performance?
time will tell, but I ain't holding my breath...

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
It is a tough situation for lesser known teams. The best way to get some attention and help with the scheduling is getting good finishes at high level tourney such as nationals. Another thing is getting kids to camps at the right level. While a girl may not stand out at an SEC school she could be a rock star at a smaller DI or DII. If one girl catches their attention it could help the whole team. It happened for my DD and it also happened at the D9.

DD moved left a big name team to move up to 14U a year early. After playing varsity her 7th grade year she didn't want to go back to 35'. We played for a no name team in small showcases with just a few coaches ever watching us. We played some dang good teams that could compete with just about anyone but they were at these showcases because they didn't have a name. Her old team had a packed roster the next year so she played for a good organization but they didn't have the drawing power name. After our ASA state tourney DD's old team asked her to pick up for the Legacy and Nationals. Her eyes were opened when we got to the Legacy.

She played in front of P5 coaches plus others every game. One of the pitchers had a school chasing her and that attention came from attending camps. She wasn't one of the chosen prospects when she started but eventually got their attention. This school came to every game she pitched at the Legacy. Once we got to nationals more coaches showed up. The one chasing her now came to every game regardless of her pitching or not. Having her attend camp got their attention and got them to games which helped other girls catch their attention. DD was invited to camp after nationals and was placed on the "prospect team". She now has her second invite back to camp. It started because this one player caught their attention.

At the D9 out at our pasture park we had a few coaches pop in and out and a couple I was able to get to watch our team. a PAC-12 coach was watching a pitcher the game before ours. I introduced my self during a break and explained I knew she was busy and had other games already planned but I wanted her to have a copy of our flyer in case she made it to Scenic City or the Bolts 5 Star. She told me she had 15 minutes or so before she had to drive to another park and would be happy to hang out if we had an elite pitcher since that is what she was looking for. I told her about the one starting our next game and explained she is extremely close to elite and would be by the time she graduated. The 15 minutes turned into and hour as she asked more questions about other girls and got video of several. Once again one player helped the entire team get some attention.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
well, that certainly is the carrot being dangled...
Not sure if this scenario is true, however.

Is a lights-out team of an "uknown" organization really going to bump a big-name team from the main fields based upon last year's performance?
time will tell, but I ain't holding my breath...

'Bump' - no... and 'unknown' probably not - But YES it does happen if your team moves from 'another big org team' to 'one of the better big-org' teams... We have moved up most places we have gone based on performance the previous year and followup good results in ASA States/Nationals (since PGF is not near us) which is another reason D9 this year annoyed us.

But our movement has been 1) Joining the big org 2) The players doing the work needed and 3) playing the showcases and qualifiers to get the competition to keep moving us up in people's mind. We also got support from our orgs HQ who got us into a couple of showcases we probably were not ready for, but benefited from immensely. Org name also got us into an invite event when another team had to pull out late - that doesn't happen as an unknown. This constant moving up has ensured we kept our best players rather than them moving to an already 'in' team.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
'Bump' - no... and 'unknown' probably not - But YES it does happen if your team moves from 'another big org team' to 'one of the better big-org' teams... We have moved up most places we have gone based on performance the previous year and followup good results in ASA States/Nationals (since PGF is not near us) which is another reason D9 this year annoyed us.

But our movement has been 1) Joining the big org 2) The players doing the work needed and 3) playing the showcases and qualifiers to get the competition to keep moving us up in people's mind. We also got support from our orgs HQ who got us into a couple of showcases we probably were not ready for, but benefited from immensely. Org name also got us into an invite event when another team had to pull out late - that doesn't happen as an unknown. This constant moving up has ensured we kept our best players rather than them moving to an already 'in' team.

Y'all are doing something so many others in the same position do not. It sounds like your org is working hard for the kids.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I understand the frustration but this is where the travel ball coach or college services can provide value. Players should ask their coach to text/call the college to inquire (assuming the player is Freshman/Sophomore) as to whether it is worthwhile for the camper to attend. The college is going to respond genuinely to the travel ball coach and a yes or no goes along way towards narrowing the search.

Also, ask the travel ball coach to "pre-ask" if the college would consider providing an evaluation of the player so the travel ball coach can follow up after the camp. This can also keep the player top of mind to the college and based on post camp feedback, you will get further information.

All information is useful.

This is how my DD has gotten to the next level of interest with several college coaches. It was not because of showcases, although the showcases just validated the interest.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619