cutoff situation runner at 2nd

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 12, 2009
CT
Everything is always dependent on what athletes you have but...

Real advantage to using pitcher for cutoff to home is that they

A. Are already in a good interior infield cutoff position
B. By cutting the ball and stepping into the circle they can force runners to commit.

F3 holding the ball in the circle is license to steal until she gives it up to the pitcher and the transfer from F3 to F1 is an offensive opportunity

I can certainly understand using F1 as the interior cutoff, just our preference to use F3 for the reasons already mentioned. Either way, the other player should be backing up the catcher. As far as risking a steal with F3 holding the ball, I just don't see that happening unless F3 takes her eyes off the lead runner before getting the ball back to the pitcher.

Just curious, would your interior cutoff assignment change if the base hit is to RF or CF?

Last edited:
CTFASTPITCH,

I like having the 1B stay and cover 1st base. That way if the girl that just singled rounds 1B too far we can pick her with a Cut 1 call from the catcher. I also prefer my cutoff to be very close to home (15-20 feet). 1B would have to move a long ways to be in position on a base hit to left.

Sean

Dec 12, 2009
CT
CTFASTPITCH,

I like having the 1B stay and cover 1st base. That way if the girl that just singled rounds 1B too far we can pick her with a Cut 1 call from the catcher. I also prefer my cutoff to be very close to home (15-20 feet). 1B would have to move a long ways to be in position on a base hit to left.

Sean

I think either approach works, as long as it is executed well and the kids know their responsibilities. To be honest, I still wouldn't have F3 stay at 1B. If you get the ball to the infield quick enough for the cutoff to pick off the batter at 1B, either the 2B runner stopped at 3B, or you would have had a good shot at her at the plate. If she stopped at 3B and you throw to 1B, you risk giving up the run. I'd say if you have the pitcher take the interior cut, then F3 should back up the catcher. You can have F9 move behind the batter at 1B if need be. Just different approaches I guess ;)

CTFASTPITCH,

I agree there is some value in having the 1B back up in that scenario. In a perfect world on a hit to left you would have 3B cover 3rd, SS cover 2nd and 2B cover 1B. The play I was talking about is when the runner has either scored or stopped at 3B. If that runner gets into a pickle I want to try to make a play on them even with a runner on 3B. I don't want my players to be afraid to make those plays. I trust are SS can turn and throw R3 out at home if she takes off.

However, at 14U or below I would be a little more hesitant to try this as I think the R3 would score more often than not.

Thanks,
Sean

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619