Cues that work when explained

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
FFS, in what sequence does this happen and how do you use the pocket cues and any other cues. simplified please. Sorry if this has already been discussed.

Simplified????

Okay ... I think I get the hint. Sorry about that.

I'll assume the pocket cue you are asking about is "show the pitcher your front pocket".

That cue is generally used while 'coiling' and 'moving forward' ... as in "forward by coiling". The cue of "show the pitcher your front pocket" is a cue applied to the frontside, or front leg / front hip, and has the effect of keeping the frontside from opening up prematurely. Not to over complicate it, but it can often be inclusive of internally rotating the front leg. You are in a sense applying a pressure to further close-off the body. The cue enhances the coiling pressure felt as the body moves forward.

Another similar cue is to "direct the rear butt cheek towards the defensive middle infielder". For a RH batter, the rear butt cheek is moved in the direction towards the defensive SS player.

Yet another similar cue is to pull back with the rear lower back.

All very similar cues attempting to obtain virtually the same action.

If this isn't sufficient then we can speak of the rotational forces at the rear foot and why this cue helps to prevent the frontside opening prematurely. It's part of the Coil/Uncoil process.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Doesn't that cause over rotation. In softball we have girls that do that with a change up or a screw ball and you better not be the third base coach. We like to tell them rotate the belly button as needed. One of the big problems that I see with power hitters , they hit great foul balls into left field, but couldn't it straight , because they don't know how. They over rotate and then release the wrists to soon. When I show them on RVP what they did, they are looking into the third base bench when they finish the swing.

Oct 25, 2009
Doesn't that cause over rotation. In softball we have girls that do that with a change up or a screw ball and you better not be the third base coach. We like to tell them rotate the belly button as needed. One of the big problems that I see with power hitters , they hit great foul balls into left field, but couldn't it straight , because they don't know how. They over rotate and then release the wrists to soon. When I show them on RVP what they did, they are looking into the third base bench when they finish the swing.

This sounds like you are describing spinning the hips. That's different than leading with the hips. The location of the pitch would determine the degree of rotation. The hands/barrel stay inside the ball—not around the outside of the ball.

The pocket cue is similar to the old baseball cue "when the pitcher shows you his butt, you show him your butt."

You're right, over-rotation, spinning, barrel around the outside of the ball is most likely a foul ball for sure.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
SBF ... now I think I understand the confusion. I was using the cue for the "front pocket", not the "back pocket". Different cue for a different intent. The front pocket cue should absolutely not lead to over rotation. As a side note, IMO anyway, the 'thrust' has a directional component associated with it ... and as such, where the belly button ends up pointing is more a 'result' ... again, IMO.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
SB you want full rotation. What you are describing is just plain getting fooled and swinging early, or much more likely batters who do not square their bat to the ball, but rather hit balls with extended arms way out front and impart hook spin.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles