Crow Hop

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2009
I try to have my OFs hop on every throw back into IF, in my mind it increases momentum and speed of throw. I have also found in the majority of times it improves assuracy , also.

Jul 21, 2011
One of my coaches taught the outfielders how to crow hop but I find that sometimes when I crow hop it comes out farther away than I want it or higher than I want it. Can anyone give me advice on how to minimize either one of these issues?

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Check with your coach to make sure you are doing it correctly, then practice, practice, and more practice. The difference between good players and great players is a willingness to work on things untill they become easy, and you don't have to think about it to do them correctly.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I was looking for something that I learned at UofA, where the college coaches don't want a crow hop. I think they were wanting a "drive through."

I didn't find that but I found a ton of info on the crow hop. FastSports!

Oct 25, 2009
I was looking for something that I learned at UofA, where the college coaches don't want a crow hop. I think they were wanting a "drive through."

I didn't find that but I found a ton of info on the crow hop. FastSports!

That was one of my first softball skills books purchases way back when. It's still essential reading IMO. Judi Garman is one of the best!

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
I, personally, don't like the crow hop throw.

Maybe I don't know the definition of "crow hop". I see a crow hop as being the motion used to position the feet in the correct throwing position after charging the ball to keep your momentum going forward. The hop allows you to turn, plant, and throw quickly.

Drive step, is the one taught by Candrea. Here is a drill, but there is a fee. Drive Step Instructions, Free Softball Pitching Techniques, Softball Training Aids

I didn't pay for the actual drill, but in the introduction, but it looked like Mendoza did a crow hop at about the 10- 11 second mark.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1