Cross fit for pitchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 2, 2012
My daughter is a hs pitcher. Was wondering if anyone has had their dd do crossfit workout. Pros vs con on crossfit.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Mostly pros - get fitter, stronger, more flexible, etc, etc....

Only con is the chance of injury and fatigue - crossfit can be very intense. My DD has often pushed herself too hard in workouts which has influenced her energy at game time the next day or two. I haven't worried about it much as long term it is beneficial in terms of stamina and overall fitness, but when the 'big' tournament games come up, I can see it needing to be managed (she tapered off crossfit leading into USSSA world series last month)

Jul 22, 2015
Crossfit can be a great workout with some big caveats. First, the instruction on proper exercise form has to be excellent and if they allow anyone to workout before significant instruction then walk away. They tend to emphasize olympic style lifts that can be difficult to master and if performed incorrectly are very likely to lead to injury. Second, there is a distinct possibility of overuse injuries with Crossfit, as so many of the workouts can involve similar movements multiple days per week unless the coaches pay close attention to this. I would be especially concerned about shoulders and lower back for a pitcher. I am not an "expert" but I have worked out for many years and used some version of the popular trends and this is my main concern about Crossfit, and the reason I would not advise it for an athlete. I would work with a trainer who can construct a workout plan more specific to what she needs and allowing for the repetitive motions she uses as a pitcher.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA