critique my 9yo DD swing...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
This might be why she likes the outside pitch. That fraction, nano second of perceived contact point happening that makes it easier to hit outside pitches compared to inside pitches.

On the outside pitch she does have bat drag. Didn’t watch the outside location before commenting.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Joey Myers claims bat drag can be fixed by increasing the grip pressure of the top hand, bottom three fingers. I haven’t had the chance to test it out yet. Although, in bat drag and with her swing the top hand and barrel has to much slop in it. It might help, as he puts it, creates a connection to the body through fascia lines.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I use coaches eye and paid for the premium version. Very good resource for slow motion and analysis recording.

Ok, I have coaches eye. Not the premium version and I can’t output slo motion. I have RVP, Blast, and my default camera app that allows me to output slo motion. Although in Blast you can’t change the frame rate after the fact. That’s why I asked you the app you used to change frame rates. Haven’t tried to change frame rates in RVP or default camera app.

Aug 20, 2017
Nice job Ern! The bat doesn’t look to be dragging imo. She does slot the rear elbow early. This is due to lack of pull back with the rear elbow (scap load). This anchors the upper body. Have her take a few swings with her hands starting in the middle of her chest. Have her focus on the moving the hands back during the stride. This will correct her early slot. If she gets that slack out of her swing look out!
It’s not a major issue. If she was losing the barrel behind her due to the early slot you would need to address it. She doesn’t lose the barrel at all.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Ok, I have coaches eye. Not the premium version and I can’t output slo motion. I have RVP, Blast, and my default camera app that allows me to output slo motion. Although in Blast you can’t change the frame rate after the fact. That’s why I asked you the app you used to change frame rates. Haven’t tried to change frame rates in RVP or default camera app.

Ah, I see the question now. I have a google pixel 3a that I video in slow mo at 1/8 speed. It makes the resolution great for analysis. I can then get rid of it with a simple drag to give full speed videos. I'm sure all phones have something similar.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Nice job Ern! The bat doesn’t look to be dragging imo. She does slot the rear elbow early. This is due to lack of pull back with the rear elbow (scap load). This anchors the upper body. Have her take a few swings with her hands starting in the middle of her chest. Have her focus on the moving the hands back during the stride. This will correct her early slot. If she gets that slack out of her swing look out!
It’s not a major issue. If she was losing the barrel behind her due to the early slot you would need to address it. She doesn’t lose the barrel at all.

I agree with the general sentiment, although I do see some bat drag (ish) issues that I hope will slowly resolve over the next couple of years with consistent small steps. She's so stubborn, I can't even get her to that preset hinged stance that was talked about in the NPF swing video. She has this baller MLB stand up straight stance that is kindof infuriating to me. Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

May 12, 2016
I agree with the general sentiment, although I do see some bat drag (ish) issues that I hope will slowly resolve over the next couple of years with consistent small steps. She's so stubborn, I can't even get her to that preset hinged stance that was talked about in the NPF swing video. She has this baller MLB stand up straight stance that is kindof infuriating to me. Anyway, thanks for the feedback.
We see so many variations of successful swings all the time.. is she having success with her current swing? Is she seeing good pitching right now.. does she have success against good pitchers? I'm all about constantly improving, but at this age you need to be very careful. Body awareness is not always the strongest attribute in a young hitter.. so changing too much at once can lead you down a path which could be very detrimental. There is a lot of knowledge on this site, but you know your DD better than anybody. So I say be very careful implementing changes in a swing where that is already a lot of success. IMO our goal as a parent is give our kids every opportunity to enjoy the game and have lots of success.... not to work towards our DD's achieving the perfect textbook swing. Not saying you are doing that.. but just be cautious.

I recommend sharing your journey the way pattar, Eric, and Clem are in the practical hitting thread.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Ah, I see the question now. I have a google pixel 3a that I video in slow mo at 1/8 speed. It makes the resolution great for analysis. I can then get rid of it with a simple drag to give full speed videos. I'm sure all phones have something similar.

Just asked Siri, the new operating system allows you to change frame rate, if you have an iPhone 11. I just bought the new iPhone SE.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi