Credentials for hiring a HS coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
We all see very good and very bad coaching at all levels.
I would like a little feedback on what the members view
as proper credentials for an individual taking over a High School program.

All opinions welcome

Jul 26, 2010
Many school systems have requirements that the individual already be an employee in the school system, so often coaching credentials take a back seat.

As for actual coaching credentials, I'd like to see a NFCA, ACA, or other coaching certification, at least a BS/BA of some sort (not necessarily physical education related, but to ensure the individual is an ambassador of higher education), and of course pass a background check.

Prior HS head coaching experience (any sport) should take preference, with a manager and head coach role in a well recognized travel ball club being the next alternative. I'd shy away from assistants, as they tend to lack the necessary experience interacting with parents, DA, financial aspects of sports programs.

-W

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
In the state of VA, coaches are required to have a certification from ASEP (American Sport Education Program--I'm taking one of ASEP's classes now in college). I do believe that other certifications would also look good and add to the credentials.

If I was the AD, I'd look for someone with a lot of experience both playing and coaching the game.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Many school systems have requirements that the individual already be an employee in the school system, so often coaching credentials take a back seat.

Prior HS head coaching experience (any sport) should take preference, with a manager and head coach role in a well recognized travel ball club being the next alternative. I'd shy away from assistants, as they tend to lack the necessary experience interacting with parents, DA, financial aspects of sports programs.

-W

Agree. Head HS coach here must be employed in the school system and be certified to coach. ( some type of basic PE training )

What we do is hire an assistant coach with TB experience. ( no kids on the team is key or you'll run into even more politics ) Works out pretty good for us, we pay him $2500 a season plus expenses.

Jan 25, 2011
I really dont think you need a degree at all,seems like most people on here,dont like HS ball at all.So I would think if you can breath,walk and talk would be enough.Okay just kidding;)

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
First thing to check is run their name through FBI data base. Come back clean is a good start.

We had many of wannabe coaches come to the rec center only to be greeted by the men and ladies in blue (not the umps).

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Agree. Head HS coach here must be employed in the school system and be certified to coach. ( some type of basic PE training )

What we do is hire an assistant coach with TB experience. ( no kids on the team is key or you'll run into even more politics ) Works out pretty good for us, we pay him $2500 a season plus expenses.

I might need to move when I graduate. My dream is to be a HS English teacher and Varsity softball coach, win a few state championships, and worm my way into the college coaching circuit. Chances of that aren't very big (but it would probably be easy to get a job at my college after graduation, if there were openings). The HS coaches (all of which must be employees of the school) only get 1500 a season. I recently had a friend (who owns a batting cage/sports memorabilia shop, coaches 14U and 18U travel) take a job at a private school. No salary. The team did win states for the private school division the past two years but they lost a lot due to graduations (most of the girls are playing college ball, one at a D1 school). So, he's got some rebuilding to do... Hard to believe he took the job with no pay, a ways travel, and all that's going on at the batting cage plus his other two teams. The man eats and breathes softball.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I might need to move when I graduate. My dream is to be a HS English teacher and Varsity softball coach, win a few state championships, and worm my way into the college coaching circuit. Chances of that aren't very big (but it would probably be easy to get a job at my college after graduation, if there were openings). The HS coaches (all of which must be employees of the school) only get 1500 a season. I recently had a friend (who owns a batting cage/sports memorabilia shop, coaches 14U and 18U travel) take a job at a private school. No salary. The team did win states for the private school division the past two years but they lost a lot due to graduations (most of the girls are playing college ball, one at a D1 school). So, he's got some rebuilding to do... Hard to believe he took the job with no pay, a ways travel, and all that's going on at the batting cage plus his other two teams. The man eats and breathes softball.

If that's your dream, then chase it. Very few people have a career that they love. I'm lucky that I have a job that pays good and I "like", that's why I have so much extra time to talk on here. :)

Just for your info.......
Head coach gets $2500 from the school system, then another $1000 from the booster club.

Asst coach gets $1500 from the school system and $1000 from the booster club.

All their travel expenses are billed to the school, gas, hotel, think they get $20 a day ( out of county games ) for meals.

I get $0.00 for being the team statistician and telling the coach he's an idiot when we lose. Both of which I enjoy. :)

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Unfortunately there are not a lot of HS head coaches out there with fastpitch experience, but that will change over the years as the sports popularity has grown tremendously in the past 10 years. The best most high schools can hope for is a coach with baseball experience who is willing to learn the differences between baseball and fastpitch. A little high level TB coaching experience would not be bad either!

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
HERE'S A RESUME!!

EDUCATION STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY Stony Brook, N.Y.
Graduated with Masters in Liberal Arts and Sciences (Specialization in Coaching)

CW POST Brookville, N.Y.
Graduated with B.S. in Physical Education

NASSAU COMMUNITY COLLEGE Garden City, N.Y.
Graduated with A.A. in Liberal Arts

EXPERIENCE
8/11-Present Kings Park Lady Knights’ Travel Softball
12U Head Coach

3/11-Present Hempstead School District
Asst Head Coach Girls’ Varsity Softball

8/10-2/11 Long Island Nitro Ladies’ Travel Softball
12U Head Coach

3/10-6/10 St Dominic High School Oyster Bay, N.Y
Asst Head Coach Girls’ Varsity Softball

9/02-1/05 Sayville School District Sayville, N.Y.
9/09-Present Substitute Teacher
--Assistant Coach for Girls Varsity Softball
(2003 Long Island Champions)
--Assistant Coach for Boys/Girls Varsity Bowling

08/09-3/10 Long Island Anthem Ladies’ Travel Softball
16U Head Coach

3/08- 6/08 Great Neck South High School Great Neck, NY
Girls Varsity Softball-Head Coach

9/06-6/08 PS 138 Rosedale, N.Y.
Physical Education Teacher
--Created and Implemented Physical Education Curriculum
--Only PE teacher in building
--Taught K-8 Physical education to 850 students
--Responsible for Physical Education curriculum
--Taught Special Education students

Fiorello LaGuardia HS New York, N.Y.
3/06-6/06 Girls Varsity Softball Head Coach
--Led team to 2nd round of playoffs (first time in over 8 years)

Mott Hall High School New York, N.Y.
9/05-6/06 Physical Education/Health Teacher
--Created and Implemented Physical Education Curriculum
--Created and Implemented Health Curriculum
--Selected all sports equipment
--First and only Physical Education teacher in the school
teaching 220 students (Only 2nd year in existence)
--Started Intramural Basketball, which is the starting point for
applying for a full-time sports team, in October
--Advisor for 26 10th grade students

11/96-6/2009 Suffolk Jewish Community Center Commack, N.Y.
Lifeguard/Supervisor/Swim Instructor/Lifeguard Instructor/Coach
--Masters Swim Team Coach
--Supervised and trained staff in CPR and Lifeguarding
--Taught swimming lessons to children and adults one-on-one
and in groups

CERTIFICATIONS University of the State of New York Education Department
--Physical Education K-12
American Red Cross
--Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation for the Professional
Rescuer
--Lifeguard Training
--Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation for the Professional
Rescuer and Lifeguard Training Instructor
--Softball Excellence Certificates

ACTIVITIES
Volunteer at Lincoln Elementary School (Sayville) in the Computer Lab
Volunteer For Sayville Little League Baseball-2009, 2010
Member National Fastpitch Coaches Association
Secretary and President of Physical Education Club at CW Post (1997-2000)
Member AAHPERD (1998-present)
Member NYSHPERD (1997-present)

REFERENCES Available upon request

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes