Creating a team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
I'd create your own team. You'll learn a ton and you might enjoy it.

Perhaps ask the parents. Getting their input can't hurt -- you don't have to take it. :p

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
Yocoach summed it up. But depending on where you are. FIELDS FIELDS FIELDS FIELDS. That could be the biggest obstacle With out field access you don’t really have a team.

Mar 10, 2020
The bigotry isn't the giant deal. it's a lot more subtle than overt -- like telling our coach she REALLY needed to make one of the fathers her lead assistant, and then turning towards him as more of their contact.

The biggest thing is that they don't really want us. Their philosophy is that with all the big organizations coming into our region, the most serious girls are gravitating towards them and it's harder for the whole competitive structure to recruit and maintain players. We're a 16U and we're the only competitive team in the district, when they used to have teams all the way down to 10. So they've been wanting to move towards focusing on purely rec ball. And because of that. they haven't been very responsive to us, they've put limits on how much we can spend on uniforms (even though the parents are cool with the costs) and telling us what tourneys we can and can't play in. So it's a board that just isn't tied into our needs and desires, and instead has a different focus.

And that would be acceptable except, for example, now when we're trying to find tourneys to replace the ones that have been lost, and we're not even sure they'll let us play at all. They were a week ahead of the schools closing in terms of banning us from practicing, and won't commit to us being allowed to play even when the stay-at-homes are lifted. We're not a great team -- we are a bunch of girls who have moved up from rec a few years ago, and we do have trouble competing with the larger organizations.

Like I said above, last year they wanted us to moe down to C because we didn't win enough, and they talked about just not having us at all. This was late in the year, after tryouts, so our girls would have been left out in the cold had we not been able to talk them into it. And we're scared that given everything that has happened this year, they're likely to do that again.

So that's most of our motivation.
Given this further information.
YOCOACH very sensible suggestion.
Given the situation that you're in, I would suggest shopping your team around so to speak. I suggest looking for a smaller organization that will pretty much leave you alone, allow you to use their name, organizational colors and if they're a 501(c)3, all the better. IMO, if they purchase organization/team insurance, uniforms and equipment as an organization, that's a plus also because it helps to keep fees down since they'll usually get a bigger discount than an individual team will. If they want to dictate team fees, tournaments or who the AC's are...RUN.
Just my .02.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yocoach summed it up. But depending on where you are. FIELDS FIELDS FIELDS FIELDS. That could be the biggest obstacle With out field access you don’t really have a team.
This is a really good point!
In fact think its most important to secure field.

Can see why your looking to move forward.
Keep in mind that most (all?)
org's have personalities.
Ask good questions when enquiring......and Listen for good answers!!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi