Crazy Softball Parents have nothing on these!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
Slightly OT but I just watched the first episode of 'Toddlers and Tiaras' and I am SO beyond horrified it's not funny! I thought softball parents were bad but my goodness! At least softballers are encouraged to be more than their looks! Their skills and their brains come into play. These babies (because that's what most of them are!) are just ruined by more make-up than most adult women wear and it really breaks my heart.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
LOL! This makes me laugh. My oldest DD did pageants when she was a toddler. I wasn't near as crazy as those parents, but I definitely see a similar world, only without all the glitz and glam, with softball.

DD, who is now a total tomboy and usually the dirtiest one to come off the field, loves to tell her teammates that she has a national beauty title.

I will come back and post a pic later. My photobucket account is having issues.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
Lozza, don't be too critical of these pageants. You have to remember that this is make for tv and they are going to pick the dumbest, craziest, obnoxious, etc parents they can to put on. And they show the kids in a lot of their worst moments. My daughter-in-law was asked to be on this show and flat turned them down because it was not a truthful depiction of pageants.

My 6 yo GDD does these pageants and she really enjoys them. She enjoys the makeup, dresses, routines she has to learn, etc. And in a lot of ways they are harder than softball. And trust me, she uses her skills and brains. Oh, by the way, she is a pretty good tee ball player and will probably move up to 8u next year as several coaches have already asked her parents. And no, her parents do not make her do them, she wants to do it. As a matter of fact she just took a year off and asked to go back.

What the show will not show you is a lot of the parents helping other parents to make sure all the girls are ready, more so than I have seen in softball. And yes, just like softball, you have the crazy parents. It also doesn't show you the kids getting together after the competition for swimming, pizza parties, celebrating someone's birthday, and visiting and playing with each other when they get home from pageants.

And it has taught her so much. How to follow direction, given her confidence in herself, interpersonal skills, how to dedicate herself to excel and so much more. A lot of the skills will carry forward in her softball career (if she still wants to play) but also into her adulthood.

So, don't believe everything you see on tv, it is much better than that.

I guess you could call me a PSGD, Pageant-Softball Grand Dad. :) And I love both of them!!!

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
Here is my DD at the age of 2 (almost 3) all dolled up in her pageant dress - sorry it is pic of a pic
Photo0138.jpg

Here are pics of DD now
DSCF4548.jpg

34047_409272021820_622071820_5011077_6287583_n.jpg

34357_409272191820_622071820_5011081_341530_n.jpg

Mar 13, 2010
99 your daughter doesnt look like those pictures. She looks like a little girl dressed up not made up to look like an adult!

Love the pitchers of her catching too!

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
Lozza, very true.

I didn't buy into the hair extensions and false eyelashes. I really just wanted her to look like a little girl. This was 10 years ago. But I did personally know people who paid for hair and makeup artists for their 2 year olds. And the amount of money they spent on clothing was crazy as well. I learned how to jewel the dresses myself to save money.

When DD turned 3, she said she didn't want to do them anymore. I always said if she didn't want to do them, we would stop. I entered her in *1* more. The night before she "cut" her bangs. Eeeks!! We didn't go and have never been back. My other 2 DDs have never been entered in one. The dress in the above pic, was worn by DD2 as a baby Cinderella costume for Halloween one year.

Like I said above, I have seen the same craziness in some of these softball momma's. But now instead of wearing $1500 dresses, these girls are wearing cleats and it is how much *we* have spent on lessons being trained by the best.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
As a side note, my 12yo GD was entered into a "natural" pageant several years ago. With not much practice, to everyone's surprise she won her age group. But she did not like it and didn't want to do it again. She said it was too much trouble getting dressed up. I had to laugh when I looked at her in her softball uniform, cleats, eye black, sunglasses, headband and all that catching gear. :)

Nov 29, 2009
For some reason a while back I happened to be watching The Bachelor. I think I may have watched the show 3 times and I have taken a vow to NEVER use the word amazing to describe something again. Ugh... But I digress... It was the home visit episode. The guy walks into the pageant room and the dad starts in on the whole pageant thing. How she should have won this event but a judge had it in for her. While the dad was droning on the guy had a look on his face that said get me the $%#* outta here. I've just been transported to OZ. It was priceless.

She didn't get a rose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes