Crazy Mommies

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'm against sexism...and, I now realize after reading the "affirmation" thread that I have been. I apologize. It now is apparent that there are more than a few Crazy Mommies running around there.

My wife wasn't a Crazy Mommy. My wife would go to these tourney games with huge sunglasses that completely covered her eyes, a comfy lawn chair, and an umbrella. She would sleep through most of the games.

So, please, share your best Crazy Mommy story with me...

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I doubt its the best but there is a local crazy mommy (well there are several but this story is about one of them) We are a small town team but there is a major metro area just 25 minutes away. This one mom never liked how the local group was run, mainly because no one can see her daughter's excellence as clearly as she does. Granted her daughter is a good pitcher, but there is a girl her age, a girl a year older and a girl a year younger who are also all good pitchers. There is no guarantee that she would be the #1, or even the #2 depending on the year. I coached this girl in LL machine pitch, and again when she was 9. Since she was 8, she is now 13, she has been on 7 teams. She left our organization once and then came back to try out for the 12u team but her mom was unhappy when the coach did not guarantee a spot after the first day or tryouts so she didn't come the next day. Every year she leaves one group to go to another. Twice she left mid spring to go to another organization because there was too much competition for pitching. Now she is saying that her DD will not play High School, probably because she will end up on JV for 2 years. And somehow she thinks this is helping her daughter's future in the game.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Last month during tournament, we were watching a game
and there was an insane mom behind backstop berating PU
for his balls and strikes. Another umpire (on break) gave her
his mask and told her to go behind the plate. She turned into
a lunatic, yelling profanities at the top of her lungs, game was stopped,
she was thrown out along with her husband. Best part-he was the head
coach for one of the teams on the field. Of all crazies, she should know better

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It was during my coaching years that I came to realize just how prominent abuse of drugs and alcohol is among families that are otherwise normal. I would run into dads that were sipping alcohol during the games and housewives that were obviously under the influence of something.

On another similar topic, one woman, who was just making her husband and DDs miserable by her erratic behavior, found out that she had congestive heart disease and her body (bloodstream, I think) wasn't getting enough oxygen. That was the cause of her constant tantrum. She is great, now.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I'm curious about who the crazy mommies are. Are they more likely former HS/college athletes who want to promote their DDs? Or are they more likely "non-athletes" who don't understand the subtle differences between players that makes one a good SB player and merely an adequate SB player? I know my DW never played competitive sports, so she does not see how some players are "clearly better" than others. I'm curious to see what others think.

Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
i honestly have to say, my wife, while she is an active parent with our travel team and HS team, is a good softball mom. Though she never played softball ( she was a B-Ball player and Field Hockey) she really does understand the game. She very rarely says anything other then cheering for everyone. Though she will say on occasion and her famous line is, that after watching me play, then my nieces and now our daughter and going through hundreds of bottles of sunscreen, almost any dummy has to learn something about the game, for gods sakes its a ball, you hit it, catch it and throw it. that always makes us laugh on the way home from a tournament

Feb 3, 2011
I'm curious about who the crazy mommies are. Are they more likely former HS/college athletes who want to promote their DDs? Or are they more likely "non-athletes" who don't understand the subtle differences between players that makes one a good SB player and merely an adequate SB player? I know my DW never played competitive sports, so she does not see how some players are "clearly better" than others. I'm curious to see what others think.
Mine never played anything, but we have other crazy moms who played in college.

The craziest of our local moms this season has a child in 8u. The coach was under observation because of complaints that he was giving the teen umpires a hard time. The exec member witnessed the coach badgering an umpire and decided to take him aside between innings to have a conversation with him. The coach explained his position and within a couple of minutes, he and our board member were on the same page.

But when one of the moms saw them speaking, she verbally assaulted the board member from the stands with vulgarities and then confronted him after the game with another profanity-laced tirade. There was no question about an immediate suspension for this individual, although she is welcome to appeal it when the board meets next week.

Feb 3, 2011
With the 1 exception *ahem*, all my parents know to leave the umpires alone. These are young girls who are still learning about the game, while also learning how managing a 10u or 8u game is different from 12u or older.

I've cautioned my in-house Mom against voicing her disapproval to the umpires.

1) I don't want that example being set for our players
2) the umpires are young women just trying to do a very tough job
3) give any ump a hard time now and it'll be harder to get the calls you want later

It isn't just about today's game. The calls may seem to go against us today, but we're going to have this same ump next week, too, so let's make sure she knows we appreciate the job she's doing, no matter the outcome. Good behavior and politicking often go hand-in-hand.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
Being in California we get a fair share of "Mom was a college softball hero, expects daughter to be one too", it's a female take on the classic overachieving dad sports hero expects child to be like him cliche. Was amusing the first time I saw it, now not so much.

We have one mom on our TB program, huge drunk. Don't think I've ever seen her sober. Doesn't complain or talk much (just sits there and drools) but when we get back to the hotel her MO is to jump in the pool with her clothes on (preferred) or without and then try to get cozy with the dads and coaches. Great lady to have around young girls ;(

I have another drunk that emails me 10 times a day to tell me how great her kid did in rec ball. No lying, 10 times a day. I think she just doesn't remember what she's sending out.

-W

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Too funny Sluggers!

I have experienced a few…actually more crazy mommies than daddies. I will leave my wife out of it…incase they are all on facebook together, Momo’s Dad has me paranoid now! ;)

The absolute worse one that stands out it my mind the most… was a rec game that MY dear mother came to. She lives in another state and hadn’t been to see her gd play.

Let me set the stage here though. When I was 12 yrs old…at one of my baseball games…my mother got into a purse fight. Now… that was really taboo back then. Ladies were ladies in public. She said she was hit first with a purse and was only defending herself from a loud mouth mother from the other team. I spent the next 5 years reminding her not to do that at my games.

So…I am coaching my first year…my dd is pitching…her grandmother is there for the game.

A mother from the opposing team was behind the back stop…. along with some of our parents…and my wife and my mother. Ump was giving the outside corner and my dd was taking advantage of it. The opposing mother…was just getting IRRATE…I mean she was mad and was letting everyone know. She yelled on every pitch about something. She even grabbed the fence and shook it a few times like rattling a cage. I could tell the ump was getting fed up with it all.

One of my players mother…that was back there… asked the ump…if they were going to have to listen to this the whole game. That really set this woman off. She started cussing her and duked up her fist…bouncing around saying she will kick her “***”. I mean… like a boxer bouncing around and she was not a small woman.

Other mothers started coming out of the stands from both sides. I thought mommy war was on hand.

The ump had…had enough…threw off his face mask just a yelling.

While he was straightening them out…I went over to where my mother was…she looked at me with big eyes like…”is this what goes on all the time?”….. and I asked her…Did you start this? :D She cracked up…and we still laugh about it when it gets brought up.

I have never experience anything that bad since…the whole experience was unreal, so sad and yet sooo so funny…all at the same time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck