Courtesy runners

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 8, 2012
Aurora, IL
3rd inning last batter, #7, grounds out 6-3. 4 inning 1st batter, #22, hits to short who over throws first, batter turns to go to second first base man tags batter. next player hist a double and is the pitcher, which player is the courtesy runner? #7 or #22. I thought #7 should be since that was the last batted out, #22 was out due to base running error.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
By straight ASA rules, neither. The Courtesy Runner can only be a player that has not participated in the game in any other manner.

You probably need to refer this question to the league or tournament you were playing in, as this is their made-up rule.

Dec 3, 2012
Missouri
In tournanents we've been in, they would've had 22 be the courtesy runner. Always went by the last person to have gotten out.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
ASA: pitcher gets to third base (single, then double by next batter). Coach stops time, calls " sub for my pitcher", brings in a sub who has not played. After the inning he reinserted pitcher for runner.

Two innings later that same "sub runner" is inserted in the lineup for another player (I don't recall if it was for the same pitcher or a different player).

Is NCAA where once a sub is used they are done, or since this was for a pitcher, even though he said sub, it was given as a pinch runner?

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
In a local tournament it depends on the local rules set by the TD. Sometimes we've had last out, others it was the furthest away in the batting order. ASA, NSA & USSSA official tournament play it has to be someone who is not in the game or has not been in the game.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
ASA: pitcher gets to third base (single, then double by next batter). Coach stops time, calls " sub for my pitcher", brings in a sub who has not played. After the inning he reinserted pitcher for runner.

Two innings later that same "sub runner" is inserted in the lineup for another player (I don't recall if it was for the same pitcher or a different player).

Is NCAA where once a sub is used they are done, or since this was for a pitcher, even though he said sub, it was given as a pinch runner?

A substitute is a substitute, whether to pinch run, pinch hit, whatever. You need to forget defensive positioning, that is irrelevant to this issue. In this case, the sub entered the game, left the game, but is not permitted to take an other position in the batting order than where she was the first time in the game (i.e., if the original pitcher was the 6th batter, the sub may only re-enter for a player in the 6th batting position, regardless of whom that player is or position being played.

The NCAA, I do not believe substitutes have re-entry availability.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
In a local tournament it depends on the local rules set by the TD. Sometimes we've had last out, others it was the furthest away in the batting order. ASA, NSA & USSSA official tournament play it has to be someone who is not in the game or has not been in the game.

Though some are not smart enough to realize it, it should never be the last out. If you are going to use active players, it should be the same as the INT, the last batter due up (that is on the bench, not a base or in the BB). That is unless these "special rules" allow for a CR to be replaced on the bases without penalty if his/her turn comes due while still on base.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

I am NOT an expert on the rules, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express this weekend - NO REALLY, I did! Some tournaments allow for a courtesy runner for the pitcher and catcher, but is must be done BEFORE the next pitch. In the scenario you have given, where the coach put in a runner for the pitcher AFTER she was at 3B, it would have been a straight substitution, NOT a courtesy runner and all substitution rules would apply.