correcting my daughter's swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Hand path device 2 2010 02 21 20 07 06 - YouTube

I would have my dd do some slow motion drills, just to kind of get the sequence of the swing. Ground, hips, upper body, hands, release.
From the back, see how in my daughters swing the top hand is inside the elbows. You should be able to take the top hand off bat and punch the front bicep by going straight.

This slo-mo swing might help your dd get a some kind of sequence down. I have other videos posted that might help you.

Your Dd's hands are outside the elbows and create's a circular swing

Straightleg

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
what is the top hand reverse drill

The reverse hand drill helps you not cast the bat around (circular).
It helps you with hand path
It helps you with big finish

It is a lead arm swing only. The back hand is upside down and only stretch's the bat backwards, and the power is generated by the lead arm and the front side of the body
Some hitters dont use the front side of the body at all

You can tell with lead arm swings

Straightleg

Last edited:
May 29, 2013
I would suggest using a tee. Following instructions and tracking the ball can be taxing on a youngster. Sometimes you can see it in their faces. "Hit the ball, hit the ball, hit the ball, duck! What did he say?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The bat is huge. Look at how much she has choked up. We don't teach that at all. If she swings hard she will hit herself in the wrist with the bat knob. So, when she swings, the swing itself is moving her backwards. I would get her a little bat like a 29 or 30 inch bat, and have her swing, hips first.

I would check the helmet and her hair, too. See if the helmet moves around a lot, or if it is pushing her hair into her eyes. I can't tell if she can see or not.

Once she starts having some success, she will start having a better time. I want her to have fun.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
The bat is huge. Look at how much she has choked up. We don't teach that at all. If she swings hard she will hit herself in the wrist with the bat knob. So, when she swings, the swing itself is moving her backwards. I would get her a little bat like a 29 or 30 inch bat, and have her swing, hips first.

I would check the helmet and her hair, too. See if the helmet moves around a lot, or if it is pushing her hair into her eyes. I can't tell if she can see or not.

Once she starts having some success, she will start having a better time. I want her to have fun.

I was thinking the same thing. helmet to big, bat to big.

SL

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I was on the rec softball board for 7-8 years and did various jobs. I took over equipment buying to try and get little girls smaller helmets and bats, verses the older girls.
Sometimes not knowing, a league will buy one size fits all.

SL

Oct 19, 2009
I was on the rec softball board for 7-8 years and did various jobs. I took over equipment buying to try and get little girls smaller helmets and bats, verses the older girls.
Sometimes not knowing, a league will buy one size fits all.

SL

Listen to SL on hitting he knows his stuff. :cool:

I attended a rec-center ball game, DD is helping coach an 11-12 YO team with their pitching, I’ve been sick and have not been out much.

They did not have enough teams so the 11-12 YO play 13-14 YO and 15-16 YO teams and usually get creamed. The 11-12 YO team started with 13 players and now have 9 and last game only 6 showed up. So it’s not looking good, guess the kids are getting tired of getting beat. DD advised no one on the team or the coaches care so it’s kind of a bad situation. The hitting mechanics of the hitters I saw were horrible on all the teams I saw play that day. They were some good athletes on the team just no one has taught them to hit, throw or catch it’s an eye opener how much good instruction helps.

I also noticed all the 8 and under teams were required to wear a mask even the outfielders.

May 16, 2010
she is nine but when anyone other than my self pitches she may hit 1 out of 25

She drops her hands down and then comes up at the ball. As she does that she also drops the barrel severely below the ball and then tries to come up at it.

This almost guarantees swing and miss, usually under the ball.

You have to keep the hands up and try to keep the barrel up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad