correcting my daughter's swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2013
derby ks
[video=youtube_share;91nMjid7RGE]http://youtu.be/91nMjid7RGE[/video]

I am my daughter's softball coach and am trying to trouble shoot her swinging issues. I am aware of her stepping away from the ball when she swings but cannot figure out why she is constantly swinging under or over the ball. I cannot tell if she is dropping her or what exactly is happening or not happening. I am looking for any advice because her confidence is starting to fail.

all help will be appreciated.

have two more clips and will follow them up

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
She looks like she is doing fine for her age (6?)...keep practicing. She is better than some of the 10u players I have coached.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Maybe have her get closer to the plate, and put something along her heels that way when she steps out she can get instant feedback. Also put a little speed on the pitches, looks like she is trying to hit slow pitch.

Jan 13, 2012
The main issue (right now) is that she's dropping her hands and swings with her arms. Her lower body isn't actually powering anything.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
Look at 50 to 52 seconds in the first video. She steps away from the ball with the front foot then the back foot also moves back and she ends up on her heels after the swing. I'm with CoachKevin to put something behind her to help her realize what she is doing. Walk through drills off a tee might be a good one to use in getting her used to not stepping away from the ball. Work on all the other things needed after she builds a good foundation.

May 6, 2013
derby ks
any suggestions on how to get her to swing from hips? We have had her take a couple of lessons and she can throw the hips first when doing it slow but when she tries at a faster speed, she cant do it

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
It's a step by step process. Don't expect to much to soon when making major changes. Did the hitting coach say anything about stepping back? There is no way to successfully work on the hips when she steps away from the ball on every pitch. BTW, the top hand reverse drill helped my DD get a better hip turn and follow through.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes