Correct arm finish when pitching?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 25, 2010
I think a lot of good-intentioned instructors teach "push down the circle and pull up on the finish" and "hello elbow" because it is an easy way for beginners to have some success (some accuracy and some speed) with the four-seam fastball when they are first learning how to pitch.

The problem as many have stated is that this "hello elbow" method really limits good arm whip / internal rotation (key factors generating most of the speed of the pitch).

With regards to the finish after release, some have suggested that it doesn't matter where you finish as long as the arm and hand finish long and loose. Hillhouse argues that the pitcher should finish to the opposite shoulder and the finish should be the same and consistent with every different type of pitch thrown. His reasoning: you want to disquise the type of pitch being thrown and not tip-off the batter. For example, the "rise ball" arm finish should not look different than the "drop ball" arm finish. You watch the Hillhouse videos and it is really difficult to tell (in real-time) what pitch he is throwing.

So while "long and loose" on the finish is fine, make sure that it is consistent and to the same spot every time, no matter what pitch is thrown.

This is absolutely correct. The only finish that looks any different is the change up, and it is so slight a difference that almost nobody would pick up on it. Kind of like having a screen full of "M" and trying to find the "N".

Jun 13, 2009
I believe Hillhouse's main point is making sure the elbow "snaps" or whips. This cannot happen with the "hello elbow" thing happening. Whipping the elbow is the key, the hand finishing to the opposite shoulder is the result. For younger kids, I've seen him encourage them to touch the opposite shoulder to just get the feel of it and get out of the "hello elbow" habit. Having gone to Erie to watch him pitch in person, crystlemc is right. There is no difference in his pitching motion from one pitch to the next. Getting to see that live made my daughter the most dedicated pitcher I've ever seen. She said "I want to be like THAT!" and she's working at it. And it's impressive how much he pitches exactly like he teaches, no differences. Jennie Finch does NOT do the "hello elbow" when she pitches yet, watch her do a clinic and that's what she promotes. It's incredible. So getting to see it first hand is really something special and can really motivate a young pitcher, which is a great thing. But the best thing about Bill is the rapport he has with every kid I've ever seen him work with. He makes learning pitching so much fun for her.

CG

Sep 3, 2009
This year DD has had some experience with 8 different pitching instructors and 4 ex college pitchers, they have all fully believe that hello elbow is the way to pitch.

Use the eye test and watch some pitchers in your DD’s age group and you will see how forced a move this is.

All of the pitching coaches in our area (NY/CT area) teach the follow through straight up (hello elbow) with a focus on a concious wrist snap. At anywhere from 60-90 dollars an hour that's why my DD doesn't go to any of them. This website is invaluable to me since she essentially doesnt have a regular PC.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
They are teaching DD a lot of great things with her motion, decided to live with hello elbow for at least another season. Not a great choice but it is what it is. I am not capable of teaching her myself.

Sep 3, 2009
They are teaching DD a lot of great things with her motion, decided to live with hello elbow for at least another season. Not a great choice but it is what it is. I am not capable of teaching her myself.

Yeah, I can understand that. We'll take her to a PC from time to time for a few sessions and sometimes she/we gets something good out of it. I can't teach her a new pitch for instance.
I just have a hard time bringing her to them regularly when they demand that she do things their way and aren't open minded to discuss things like IR, why she doesn't spend hours doing wrist snaps, why I don't want her to get behind the ball, etc etc. Too frustrating for this extremely anal dad. =)

Dec 6, 2010
Florida
Like what Hillhouse says, that this stuff he did not invent it. I believe that if you really take notice of the different info.. on this website that you should be able to help your DD out. That's if you don't have the problem i have. They don't tend to listen to their father very much.

Jul 7, 2010
Bill can throw a curve and screw. I have seen him do it a number of times in person. He just does it a little differently than what the norm is.

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
I believe Hillhouse's main point is making sure the elbow "snaps" or whips. This cannot happen with the "hello elbow" thing happening. Whipping the elbow is the key, the hand finishing to the opposite shoulder is the result. For younger kids, I've seen him encourage them to touch the opposite shoulder to just get the feel of it and get out of the "hello elbow" habit. Having gone to Erie to watch him pitch in person, crystlemc is right. There is no difference in his pitching motion from one pitch to the next. Getting to see that live made my daughter the most dedicated pitcher I've ever seen. She said "I want to be like THAT!" and she's working at it. And it's impressive how much he pitches exactly like he teaches, no differences. Jennie Finch does NOT do the "hello elbow" when she pitches yet, watch her do a clinic and that's what she promotes. It's incredible. So getting to see it first hand is really something special and can really motivate a young pitcher, which is a great thing. But the best thing about Bill is the rapport he has with every kid I've ever seen him work with. He makes learning pitching so much fun for her.

CG

we actually did a lesson with bill hillhouse this morning, and he asked what was new on the forum? and i said "we're talking about you bill"
i say we did a lesson because he teaches me as well as my daughter so i can help her. about his rapprt with the kids? he makes my dd feel like she's the best pitcher in the world, the best kid in the world amd the most important kid in the world ! the reason i'm telling you this is because he makes ALL the kids feel that way...my dd's first words when we got back in the car were "I LOVE HIM"....and it was just like you said? he showed my 11 year old dd a high riseball, a low riseball, and a drop? and they all look exactly the same...what else can i say but "it was a great day" THANK YOU BILL !!!see you soon.....

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
If only we could all live where we could attend his lessons/clinics.

"i'm sorry" i was just trying to say that he is a great coach and he really is great with the kids...we travel pretty far to go him,it's a whole day event for us? but i know for some it's not even possible,sorry....

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes