Corona Virus participation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2012
Now that we are hearing of some tournaments considering forging ahead with some qualifications and we have been kicking around some umpire mechanic modifications ( 6 feet behind home plate, standing behind the pitching circle. wearing masks, wearing gloves, on field testing etc) being considered, how many of you feel that you are not comforable taking the chance to get back on the field? Or do you think we owe it to the sport to get back there because they need us and we should throw caution to the wind. Also, considering that most of us travel and share rooms with other umpires, does that influence your consideration?

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
The average age of an umpire is probably 65 y/o with some getting up there in the 75 range. They should not be hovered over the catcher because that is just too dangerous for them. Umpires cant stand behind pitching circle. They would get in the way too often. Better off in shallow CF behind 2nd base. They would have time to get out of the way of any ball in play. Paint the plate bright white and the black part bright chartreuse. Maybe recaulk the boxes toe line every other inning.

May 29, 2015
Since we are talking umpires ... how many others received the survey from NASO? I'm very interested to see the results. I felt many of their questions were worded in a manner that I can just about predict their findings. The options they gave were not great answers (or very encompassing).

That said, I am in my mid-40s and overweight. My wife is working on a COVID-19 floor and my youngest has an autoimmune disease.

No, I am not going back this year because I am just as likely to be carrying it as I am to bring it back. We don't need any more possible exposure points for my daughter.

Honestly, what is keeping me away is people, not the virus itself. If people actually were courteous, kind, and respectful by following rules I would consider going back. If you could convince me people were following and would follow the guidelines, I would be much more likely to go back. However, I have absolutely no faith in people right now.

Aug 25, 2019
Honestly, what is keeping me away is people, not the virus itself. If people actually were courteous, kind, and respectful by following rules I would consider going back. If you could convince me people were following and would follow the guidelines, I would be much more likely to go back. However, I have absolutely no faith in people right now.

So True.

Feb 25, 2018
Now that we are hearing of some tournaments considering forging ahead with some qualifications and we have been kicking around some umpire mechanic modifications ( 6 feet behind home plate, standing behind the pitching circle. wearing masks, wearing gloves, on field testing etc) being considered, how many of you feel that you are not comforable taking the chance to get back on the field? Or do you think we owe it to the sport to get back there because they need us and we should throw caution to the wind. Also, considering that most of us travel and share rooms with other umpires, does that influence your consideration?

I'm 55, in pretty good health, asthma being my only underlying condition. I'm not calling games. I also think the compliance rate won't be great. I don't trust people to begin with and from the pictures I've seen at tournaments with supposed safe play protocols in place, that approach is still waranted.

May 29, 2015
I have to amend my statement ... another reason I won't be back this year is because it won't be worth the investment for me. If they do kick off tournaments locally, they are going to be playing two different organizations over the three announced weeks. I cannot justify spending almost $200 to register for that limited amount of time.

Aug 25, 2019
Good for you TMIB, unfortunately I already paid reg. Fee ($250) in February, not getting it back. Personally, I think it's ridiculous we pay a fe e at all. My org. Already takes 10% on every game we work.

As for calling games, I called a practice for DDs 16U team the other day, it was spur of the moment, and I didn't have my gear, so I stood behind the backdrop approx. 7-8 behind catcher. It was somewhat difficult, couldn't see all of the plate, I found it a bit better working opposite the slot. It's not going to be easy calling games from 6 feet back, but if the coaches understand our situation, I'll give it a go.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
So, just received my first assignment...ever. Right now it’s for 7/22, but hopefully more teams will start scheduling games (CT gov just put out youth sports guidelines today, and things should start up June 17).

I coached my Dd though 10u, and our final tournament last year was sorely in need of some good umping. The head of one of the ump orgs is good friends with my wife through church, so...here I am. All geared up and ready to go.

44, no health concerns with any immediate family. I can’t wait to get going.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00