Conundrum - Second Baseman Choice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I've filled eight defensive positions. I'm having trouble choosing a second baseman from my remain players. No, I don't necessarily fill my second baseman position last.

The two remaining girls are quite different in their qualities. One is faster, but struggles more fielding bouncing grounders. The other is slower, but does a better job of fielding bouncing grounders.

Would you play the slower one closer to compensate for her weakness with side-to-side speed and the faster one further back to help her field bouncing grounders?

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Doug, don't know the age but one of your main concerns is covering 1st on the bunt. I always put a speedy girl at 2b because they had to cover that ground in addition to fielding. Just a thought.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
It's 16U. And, for various reasons, I keep my first-baseman back except when the ball is bunted hard up the first-base line.

Mar 29, 2012
Play the fielder, seeing balls that should be an out get past your 2nd baseman will make you pull your hair out.

they do have to be able to make it to first to cover the bunt, but they don't have to be super fast for that, and with proper positioning it becomes easier.

Feb 7, 2013
Your question is too generic because there are many factors that should go into your decision. But in general, it's easier to teach fielding than quickness and speed.

2nd base has a lot of territory to cover, covers 2nd base on balls hit to the left side, is the cutoff for right field, covers 1st on bunts, has to get to pop-ups hit over 1st baseman's head, etc. Other things to consider 1) softball IQ, which one knows the game better and is thinking one play ahead. 2) who is the better offensive player, better batting average, OBP, better bunter, good baserunner, and which one can be a utility player if she needs to play another position due to injuries, etc..

I would make a list of pros and cons and choose accordingly. Lastly, I think ever position should have an "understudy" player that can and should get playing time, especially in pool play, friendlies, scrimmages. Maybe keep both and have them compete for the starting job?

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Rocketech1 beat me to it. I would definitely play with speed/quickness as long as the following qualities he mentioned are filled. As he/she said, proper fielding can be taught and practiced.

Sep 20, 2012
SE Ohio
I'd play the one that hits the most

Yep. Unless there is one that is an obvious inferior fielder, choose the best hitter. I won't swear to it at 16U, but at 14U and below, 2nd base is going to receive the fewest chances for an out of any infielder (according to Game Changer). Defensive 2nd basemen are over-rated, imo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd