Controlling Load

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 8, 2019
I'm willing to bet she probably doesn't have many timing issues with front toss. Right? She does her normal tee sequence probably too on front toss.

Have you ever noticed that when it comes to front toss, most players (not all) but most never have timing issues. They don't even have to see a pitch first like if you were on deck. They can just step up to the plate and hit with almost no timing issues and no thought to it. I always found that fascinating. What they are failing to realize is that the timing for front toss is basically the same timing as live pitching (in general). The time to contact from release on front toss if done correctly is roughly the same time as live. The time it takes for the back swing to to release in front toss, is the same as the arm circle to start and to go around to release. I think they get a little flustered because there is all the movement of live pitching. A pitcherers stride, and glove hand flying around, LOL. Its a lot to take in verses a simple front toss. Now with all that said, how does a player normally start their sequence for front toss. The start it with the back swing generally,and are starting the forward move a tad before release. Thats really all a player needs to do with live pitching (in general). Start when the arm circle starts. And start going forward a tad before release.

I just thought I would share observation.

Front toss swing looks almost identical to tee swing

May 8, 2019
I'm not a big fan of pitching machines but in this case it might be just what she needs.

She hates pitching machine but we can try it maybe try what people are mentioning here, start early, slow feet and fast hands or just try n Mimmick tee swing with pitching machine

Apr 17, 2019
Does she get an opportunity to practice off a real pitcher? If your team isn't affording her that opportunity, can you pay a pitcher to come to your hitting lesson? Probably only need it once. If she's not making the adjustments on her own (a lot of kids don't), imo she needs to be coached through live pitching in a practice setting.

Oct 2, 2017
Does she get an opportunity to practice off a real pitcher? If your team isn't affording her that opportunity, can you pay a pitcher to come to your hitting lesson? Probably only need it once. If she's not making the adjustments on her own (a lot of kids don't), imo she needs to be coached through live pitching in a practice setting.
I agree with that.

May 8, 2019

No live pitching in practice but great idea, never thought about that. Should be simple her hitting partner is a pitcher, may see what we can work out.

Aug 20, 2017
Pick the front foot up on time (just before pitch release). That will fix her timing. Then address the mechanics of what happens when she picks the front foot up (coil, stride, move forward etc). Gonna feel weird at first but she will get used to it. Front foot up on time with a controlled forward move is your goal. Good luck

Oct 2, 2017
Pick the front foot up on time (just before pitch release). That will fix her timing. Then address the mechanics of what happens when she picks the front foot up (coil, stride, move forward etc). Gonna feel weird at first but she will get used to it. Front foot up on time with a controlled forward move is your goal. Good luck
A issue that keeps creeping up with my DD is the Early-to be-late. She will start, then pause, and wait for the ball, and start again. By that time its too late. The swing should be a continuous flow from beginning to end. She doesn't have this issue on tee or front toss only live. I asked her yesterday what is going through her head and she confirmed whats stated in the article. She said she starts, but then feels like she is too early, she said then I pause and wait to see the ball.

Ken's article is spot on of what she is dealing with.

https://www.discussfastpitch.com/threads/hitters-never-get-stuck-on-your-back-foot.38153/

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying