Controlling Load

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 8, 2019
Need some help, hitting coach said my daughter looks rushed when hitting live, needs to control her load, anyone have some help for me as in examples, drills or anything - Thanks

Dec 12, 2020
Any video? Does all her movement begin after the ball is released? Did the hitting instructor offer any particular plan after diagnosis?

May 8, 2019
Yes he did offer a plan basically stick to what she is doing currently, 3 different drills but I was just seeing if anyone had something they could maybe help me understand controlling her load or a video or explanation maybe I’m not understanding and not translating to her correctly.

Dec 12, 2020
One way I like to think of it is as a timeline.

On gameday, my dd is who she is. The pitcher is who she is. The pitcher is going to have a particular sequence that delivers the ball to the plate.

My dds job is to take her sequence, her tee swing, and drop it into the timeline so that her bat is in the zone when the ball is. She obviously has to be reactive, but proactive as she can with her timing.

That means beginning her sequence before the ball is delivered, expecting a strike, and just stopping when it's not.

Oct 2, 2017
Trying to post a video not sure if any good but see if it helps:

IMO This is simply a timing issue plain and simple. She is getting beat to the spot. What happen when you get beat to you spot as a hitter? You rush. Just need to get the forward move happening at or just before release.

Red dot is the ball right at release, she hasn't even begun to start her sequence in this fram
timing 1.PNG

Ball already on her, in this frame she just then got to heel plant and started to launch.

timing2.PNG

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
2021-1021-back.gif

She doesn't really have a load, or a coil, or an uncoil.

She has no stride. If you go no-stride, you should pick up the front heel to coil hips in.

Or, go to a stride, and start moving forward when the pitcher releases the ball. Make sure you coil the hips inward as you go.

Notice how she just drops her hands back toward the catcher, without turning her hips around. Her hips should already be turned at 'hip slot'. The back elbow should drop in front of her, not behind her per above.

Notice how pros rotate the hands/shoulders/hips mostly in unison from toe touch to hip slot below.

Miggy_Hands-TTB.gif

Last edited:
May 8, 2019
View attachment 24175

She doesn't really have a load, or a coil, or an uncoil.

She has no stride. If you go no-stride, you should pick up the front heel to coil hips in.

Or, go to a stride, and start moving forward when the pitcher releases the ball. Make sure you coil the hips inward as you go.

Notice how she just drops her hands back toward the catcher, without turning her hips around. Her hips should already be turned at 'hip slot'. The back elbow should drop in front of her, not behind her per above.

Notice how pros rotate the hands/shoulders/hips mostly in unison from toe touch to hip slot below.

View attachment 24177
Any tips or drills to help this, thanks for the info

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2