Continuation play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
One play we used at 10u on the offensive side of this situation with less than 2 outs was to have the runner at 3rd get their normal lead on the pitch, batter/runner jog to 1st make the turn and jog to 2nd never changing speed. If the other team tryed for the out at 2nd the tag had to be applied, this gave the runner at 3rd the chance to score. At 10u very few catchers will be able to make an accurate throw to 2nd or resist the urge to try, but if they do try we just scored. This will work more times than not because very few team practice defending this at 10u. And yes I will give up an out for a run.
1999coach

I am confused. Why would the catcher be throwing the ball to 2B? The pitcher should have the ball after a walk.

Dec 8, 2009
This was at 10u, and more times than not the catcher will throw the ball to try for the play at 2nd, if they don't it's a free base.I would always take any opprotunity to put runs on the board unless it was a blow out game. And yes we would trade an out for a run anytime, in a 4-5 inning game if you trade 2 outs for runs per inning that 8-10 runs and will win most games, just my way of thinking.
1999coach