Contact with College Coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
I know this question has been asked many times and answered in many, many different ways - My DD is a freshman and just beginning this process (we have Cathy's book on order). We have an email invite from a College Coach to attend a softball camp. What is the best way to respond that we cannot attend but thank you, keep us in mind, etc. We want to keep this school open as one of our options. Do we Call or reply to the Email? Unsure of the rules.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
This is from the "NCAA DIVISION I COACHES OFF CAMPUS RECRUITING GUIDE – SPORTS OTHER THAN FOOTBALL AND BASKETBALL"

However, an institutional staff member or athletics representative who is approached by a prospect or the prospect’s parents, relatives or legal guardian(s) at any location shall not use a contact, provided the encounter was not prearranged and the staff member or athletics representative does not engage in any dialogue in excess of a greeting and takes appropriate steps to immediately terminate the encounter.

So, it seems that you can call him/her or email him/her. Don't expect a lengthy exchange with the coach. Be polite, tell him/her why your DD can't attend, and then thank him/her for the invitation.

May 12, 2008
Well you can email the coach any time. If it was a personalized invite, DD should compose a letter expressing regrets since xyz school is a goal of hers promising to keep Coach Winthemall up to date on her game schedule next summer. If it was just a broadcast email from their list of prospective campers I wouldn't worry about it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish