Considering a move to Texas

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2012
Our family is just starting to research a possible relocation to east TX. Anyone have reccomendations on areas/school districts to look at? We are in the very early stages of this process and aren't sure where to even begin. We are researching Dallas/Fort Worth suburbs, Tyler area, or the Houston area. Good schools are a main priority. And of course DD wants to know about good softball teams.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to start?

Oct 24, 2012
LaGrange, Ohio
My parents and sister live in Lindale a suburb of Tyler. My sister says the schools are excellent (i still live in Ohio but my sister and parents moved from Ohio to Texas five years ago) As far as softball, I think there are some good programs in the Dallas Fortworth area....I think Texas Glory has a team within a couple hours of Lindale.

Dec 18, 2010
For schools there is a web-site that rates schools pretty accurately we used it when we moved from OC CA, also we checked the web for city demographics, population age,average incomes that sort of thing, read police reports online. Our city prints the police blotter for the week and it's filled with dogs/coyotes barking/howling, kids riding dirt bikes on the street,1-2 DUI's on the main thoroughfare that's about it 95% of the time.
As for softball here rec is terrible we went right into what they call here "SELECT" especially if your moving from a good softball program. And Texas Glory is a top tier program just make sure its the one that practices out of Craig Ranch there are 2 clubs that use that name, American Freedom, and Twist are also good programs according to which age group your in.

Jun 12, 2012
Thanks all! Softball will definitely be a factor in any decision. (Only real softball families understand that.) DH already discovered the Glory! I know there is a HUGE difference between softball in VA and TX, but both girls currently play for one of the top programs here so want to make sure we find something good for the 12yo. (Older DD heads off to college this summer so I'm not stressing about her.)

Rachelsdad - what area did you end up in?

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Today I met the head coach at Deer Park, last year's state champions, here at the NFCA Coaches College and she is excellent. Former player, very knowledgeable and committed, and the type who gets the most out of her players.

I don't know anything about the school of the area, but if you're looking around Houston that might be one to consider.

Apr 9, 2012
Got to be very careful where you live in Houston. Both ends of the spectrum exists there. Deer Park is a great choicel There are many great suburbs of Dallas with awesome sports and great academics. The website above will help with that.

When you said east tx I was thinking home (anything east of tyler texans consider east tx lol). If you can stay closer to Dallas and Houston do so. this coming from a lifelong East Texan (who left after college)

Dec 22, 2012
Dallas and Houston both have great areas to live in and great softball areas. My wife is from Dallas, I am from near Houston and my parents live there.

In Houston, best areas to live are Sugar Land, Pearland, Katy, the Woodlands, and Humble. All of them have some great teams but truthfully parents travel from all over Houston to play on the best teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish