Conditioning at Practice.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2013
Recently on a thread I have come realize that some people think running during practice is not for girls and is actually a sign of poor coaching if done as discipline. In all honesty we do very little running because we are busy practicing but if minds, attitudes, or efforts aren't where they should be I have no problem working on conditioning. Just curious do the majority of coaches not run their players? If not, how do you keep them in shape?

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I'd say it's a very tough thing to do. And, I'd say it has a lot to do with age.

If you over-do it with the running/conditioning, you will alienate many of them, making it more difficult to have them supportive of your coaching efforts. Letting them be too lazy will do the same thing.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Everything at our practice is done at minimally a jog... dynamic warmups, shagging balls, running in out of dugouts and between stations plus quick fast drills and lots of base runners in drills and there is a lot of fitness built into how we practice without having to break it out specifically.

Plus we also do 3-4 weeks of agility and fitness before we start the season. Depends on how much lead in we have before the first meaningful game.

On multiple occasions new team members joining our practices have said "I didn't know there was this much running in softball" - and they often struggle to get through their first practice or two until they adjust.

Nov 29, 2009
When I had practice it was practice NOT conditioning or hitting.

When I had hitting it was hitting. NOT practice or conditioning.

When I had conditioning it was conditioning. Not practice or hitting.

Practice was always at a quick pace with lots of quality reps trying to keep the heart rate elevated without killing them so they were able to concentrate on the task at hand while working up a good sweat. The same with hitting. I always try to give them plenty of reps without feeling like they were being hurried. Conditioning.... Well.... We kicked their backsides. That's what it's for.

Coached a spring team one time with a woman who ran her practices from her watch. She had "X" amount of things she wanted to do regardless if they were being done correctly. The kids would run from station to station, go through the motions at the station whether they were right or wrong and then move on to the next thing. She used to get mad at me when I would screw her schedule all up because I made a kid stay and work on something she was doing wrong instead of running to the next station.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Always found it interesting the thought and emphasis on physical conditioning when it is mental conditioning that wins ball games. How often do you see players run out of gas or lack the physical ability to make a play versus screwing up due to a brain fart?

Jun 1, 2013
Is this a question of conditioning or discipline.
It is a question of conditioning. It seems that attitudes about conditioning female athletes vary greatly and some see it as cruel or mistreatment. We do use running as reinforcement on some things. We don't get out of hand it with it and sometimes I do run with them but this is more about the overall conditioning of female athletes.

Riseball, that is what the rest of practice is for. (Mental conditioning) Having mind and body prepared for a response to a given situation. Yes, I have seen girls run out steam during a tournament because of being out of shape.

To ask a more encompassing question, are we not supposed to be getting the girls ready for the next level? Do any of you think there is no conditioning in college? Which girl will be more prepared, the girl that didn't do any conditioning prior to college or the girl that had a coach that would make them run?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
You can't get someone else's kid in shape. You would have to have the player 5 days a week to do that. Once around the field is OK. Anyone should be able to do that. But, a dedicated player will condition herself.

I watched a travel team disband over running. (Not what you are talking about.) She ran them for 20 minutes, as punishment. Enough parents pulled their daughters, that the team was finished.

Dec 11, 2010
You can't get someone else's kid in shape. You would have to have the player 5 days a week to do that..

100% right.

I hate losing practice time to conditioning.

My younger dd did have a wise old coach that did some "conditioning" at winter practices but he was actually teaching them how to run faster. I didn't understand it at the time but looking back he was trying to improve our base running. That old dude is a smart guy.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
We run 2 hour practices 3 days a week. The first 30 minutes is conditioning and the next 90 is practice. EVERYONE has a different take on this based on what has worked for them, but here goes my thoughts.

What is the issue with conditioning? I agree mental mistakes will far outweigh the physical but a lack of physical conditioning often leads to lapse in mental judgment. All levels of the Military (yes I know this isn't the military) use sleep deprivation and physical conditioning to cause mental errors. This is a form of mental conditioning.

The words conditioning and punishment on this forum are often considered synonymous, they are not.

We worry about physical conditioning that might help promote a healthier lifestyle for our girls and people think it isn't the coaches job to run conditioning. Well be a parent and do it yourself. (not directed at anyone just a statement).

America is the fattest country in the world, blame it on fast food or processed foods but I blame the parents who don't say NO!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13