Concentration Grids

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Not a fan of sitting once we get going in the season -- sounds like an off season drill per the announcer, and I can't get the team together then (may not even know who all of them are yet). Numerical order (to 100) does not match the concepts we need on the field. Maybe if it involved a ball and up to four choices or something, and we could get it done without taking too much time or too much time sitting.

Always an excuse with you Coach.

If you want to work on something, you take the time and work on it..

I can see this being a good way to close a practice as well. When they are their most exhausted, teach them how to maintain focus.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
DD's high school coach started implementing concentration grids at the end of their practice sessions. I've read that Roy Halladay used them all the time. Does anyone have any experience with these? Would love to hear some feedback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIk4OHrVwTM

I think it is an interesting idea. Many coaches don't place much value on these things, but I can see numerous benefits. Of course you have the obvious use in hitting. But what about fielding? Some players have a knack for knowing where the runners are and when they have an opportunity to throw one out. In base running, some runners are good at reading outfield positioning that could lead to an extra base. What about court vision in basketball? What about a running back finding a hole? I'm sure some of this is instinctual, but I also feel that some of it can be trained.

If anyone is interested, I would suggest reading a book called See to Play, written by Michael Peters.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It might tough to fit into regular practices, but I can see doing it for indoor practices.

I like the idea of tracking it and making it a competition.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny 321commission