Compression Protector Shirt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2015
DD worked on blocking today in the local gym and took a shot to the rib cage that sent her to the ground. In true SJ form, she tried to tough it out, but I stopped her because she was CLEARLY in pain. We stopped working on all blocking drills with softballs (tennis balls only after that) after she explained that it's been hurting her like that ever since she got it (a few months back). She just never "thought to tell me". Anyone recommend a specific compression protector over another? She loves the way the chest protector fits on her, but wants more padding.

Dec 19, 2012
What brand chest protector does she wear? When blocking, her arms should protect most of her rib cage. Did she turn her body to expose her rib cage? Wearing a compression protector could make her very hot in the summer.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
How does her chest protector fit? It should be snug against the body, not flopping around.

Got any video?

Aug 26, 2015
What brand chest protector does she wear? When blocking, her arms should protect most of her rib cage. Did she turn her body to expose her rib cage? Wearing a compression protector could make her very hot in the summer.

That's exactly when it happened. I was working her on blocking balls that were really far outside. Wondering if I need to stick with tennis balls when I work in the gym. Could the harder bounce make it more challenging to get to the spot in time?

When she knew the block was coming, she was able to succesfully get to the spot. When it was more "live pitch", she was barely able to get to the spot on time. Can't believe I didn't think of that as the reason it hit her rib cage. I think the idea of her trying to be "tough" while she was noticeably in pain erased any "observation notes" my brain gathered.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2012
That's exactly when it happened. I was working her on blocking balls that were really far outside. Wondering if I need to stick with tennis balls when I work in the gym. Could the harder bounce make it more challenging to get to the spot in time?

When she knew the block was coming, she was able to succesfully get to the spot. When it was more "live pitch", she was barely able to get to the spot on time. Can't believe I didn't think of that as the reason it hit her rib cage. I think the idea of her trying to be "tough" while she was noticeably in pain erased any "observation notes" my brain gathered.

The Black Magic chest protector is fine as it does wrap around to protect the rib cage.

It sounds like a freak incident. Picturing this in my head it I'm thinking your dd turned her body sideways to try to get to the spot. Just remind her that her shoulders should stay square with the pitching plate when blocking, turning her body in a hemispherical motion to make sure the ball stays in front of her when blocked. Honestly, I don't think a compression protector is necessary. Is she still complaining of rib pain or has it subsided?

Aug 26, 2015
It subsided after about 5 minutes. We continued with her throwing progression for about 20 minutes afterwards. I probably just overreacted. She doesn't say when she is hurting so it's hard to gauge pain vs. injury with her.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619