Composite Bats for U12

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 29, 2012
Nice bat for the price.

The combats are really tough bats and it will probably take a while to break in and have it hitting like you want it.

When you can start taking her to hit a bunch of front toss to break it in and get it to open up.

Apr 1, 2010
That is a good deal. Even if you don't have a lot of space, she can also start breaking it in by hitting off a tee into a net. Have her keep rotating it a little after every hit or every x-many hits, so that's she's using it evenly. IMO wanting to break in a new bat is great motivation for a girl to get out and practice hitting!

Mar 29, 2012
yep good suggestion, hit the ball rotate a 1/4 turn hit the ball rotate etc.

One thing to avoid, you will probably see ads around online or hear someone talking aboout bat rolling to break in a bat. DO NOT do this, it is considered bat tampering, plus it damages the bat.

Jan 10, 2013
thank you. no, we wont be rolling the bat, but Dad might give it a few half swings to help out. She's been taking hitting lessons and working at home twice a week, so putting a few hundred swings together shouldn't be too hard. TB open gym starts this weekend as well...so the inspiration is there.

Thanks to everyone for all of the valuable info. Last year at this time I was buying a $30 target special.

Jun 1, 2008
Hallelujah. You don't need any bats, U12 is a soccer team. Now a 12U team, we have all the bats that I have gotten huge deals on.

Actually, where I'm from, Canada, it's U12.

Thank you all for your feedback! Glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem. I've been looking at the DeMarini CF5, Easton Synge, Easton Typhoon and Worth Mayhem. They are reasonably priced composite bats. I was all about lighter bats but I'm wondering if my bigger girls will be able to handle a 32 -10. So hard to see what's right.

Apr 1, 2010
Actually, where I'm from, Canada, it's U12.

Thank you all for your feedback! Glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem. I've been looking at the DeMarini CF5, Easton Synge, Easton Typhoon and Worth Mayhem. They are reasonably priced composite bats. I was all about lighter bats but I'm wondering if my bigger girls will be able to handle a 32 -10. So hard to see what's right.

If you have some bigger 12 year olds, they probably can handle a 32/22, and if they can, you'll probably be very happy they have that size in their hands. ;-) That's probably as big as you'd need to go at 12U/U12. The CF5 is by far the best bat on your short list, IMO.

Mar 29, 2012
First time she catches one over the plate at belly button level on the sweet spot her eyes are going to light up. The jump from the walmart bat to the fernandez will be pronounced once it is broke in.

Jun 12, 2012
I coach a 10u team and bat size is all over the place. My young 9 year old (70 lb) swings a 30/19 CF5, but I have a larger 10 year old swinging a 32/22 (swings it well too). I tried to move my daughter up to -10, but she is just not strong enough unless I go down in length and barrel size. My oldest swung a 30/17 and then moved up to a 31/21 TPS Catalyst as a 13 y/o. She was small for her age and I was convinced she couldn't handle the weight. She hit a one hopper triple off the fence her first at bat and handled it very well. I would think a 30/20 or 31/21 would be right for the stronger girls. If you don't want to go super expensive, you can pick up the older Catalysts at a steal these days (picked up a 31/21 for $52 shipped) and they are very under rated. I wouldn't say they are the best bat out there but one of the best for the money.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma