Composite Bats for U12

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2008
Hi all,

I'm coaching a U12 team and want to get some composite bats. It's hard for me to figure out what size bats they should be using - I'm more concerned about the weight. They're playing a higher level of ball this year with faster pitching, so I'm thinking the lighter the better. However, I've got some taller girls who look like they could be using a 31'' bat (perhaps maybe 32?), and some very tiny girls that I think could use a 29'' or 30'', with a (-11) or (-12).

What do you recommend/what are your experiences with this age group? What have you found successful in terms of weight/length?

Which bats do you recommend?

Thank you in advance!

If you are playing higher level ball 12U girls all have there own bats.

12U is a hard group because you have 5ft 90 lbs soaking wet and 5ft 6in 140lbs girls on the same team

If you had a 29in -10 and a 31in -10 you should probably be OK.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
My advice is too encourage the girls to get their own bats and do not go any lighter than -10. You need the weight of the bat to meet the force of the ball.

Teach them to hit and they will be fine.

The parents need to let the girls swing bats of various lengths and see what they need. 32 might be good for the bigger girls. Some of the small ones might outgrow a 30 inch bat quickly.

They do not need to spend $300.00. I buy Louisville Slugger Catalysts from several years back for $80.00 and they are great.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Hallelujah, I know the position you are in. I coach a 12U team where half are first year TB players (DD is older and plays on another team). While every girl has their own bat, none of the parents have bought in to the idea that there is a difference between a $30 bat from Target and a Xeno or CF5. I did buy a few team bats, but did not go with composites - I was concerned about price and durability if multiple kids are using it (especially if it breaks, then multiple kids are affected until the replacement arrives). I went with the Rip-It Force and the Rip-It Reaper, and got 3 NIW bats from 30/18 to 32/22 in for $210 total. They are nice bats, large sweet spot, can be used in colder weather (down to 50 F) and since they are alloy, I think more durable than composites, which I think is important for a "team" bat.

At the end of the year, I plan to raffle the bats off, where each hit/sac bunt/nice play earns a raffle ticket that they can put in the hat for a chance to take the bat home. I don't need any more FP bats in my house - I buy bats like my DW buys shoes.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Hallelujah. You don't need any bats, U12 is a soccer team. Now a 12U team, we have all the bats that I have gotten huge deals on. What we have: freak, cf4, xeno, stealth, synergy, rockettech....all between 20 and 23 oz. The biggest thing for me is getting a deal. One of the xenos was $199, all of the rest of the bats were under $140.

3 girls swing 32/22 or once in a while the rt32/23. A couple swing just 30/20. The rest go between 20 and 21 oz.

Jul 19, 2012
My advice is too encourage the girls to get their own bats and do not go any lighter than -10. You need the weight of the bat to meet the force of the ball.

Teach them to hit and they will be fine.

The parents need to let the girls swing bats of various lengths and see what they need. 32 might be good for the bigger girls. Some of the small ones might outgrow a 30 inch bat quickly.

They do not need to spend $300.00. I buy Louisville Slugger Catalysts from several years back for $80.00 and they are great.

This is great advice!

One exception is that at 12U, lighter bats (ie -11, -12) allow for weaker girls to generate swing speeds. Due to lack of strength the heavier bat may change the swing mechanics trying to compensate for the "too heavy" mindset.

12U is about incorporating the mechanics and adding tools to the toolbox. At 14U, it's about competing and learning to win more consistently.

just my 2 cents. Take it for what it's worth.

Mar 29, 2012
My DD is 11 and the smallest girl on her 12u team at 5' and she swings a 31" bat. the other girls all swing 32" or 33".

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
12U is a hard group because you have 5ft 90 lbs soaking wet and 5ft 6in 140lbs girls on the same team

My DD is 11 and the smallest girl on her 12u team at 5'

Even when people post about small players my DD is small, stop it. :)

I think Amy gave good advice. DD started a run on new bats on her Team when they saw the difference between a $30 Target bat and a good bat. Doesn’t need to be composite and I do not recommend a brand. There are a lot of good bats out there, just need to educate them a little bit.

Might Just be DD’s thing but she is going to swing her bat, good luck getting her to switch to a better bat.

Jan 10, 2013
would anyone mind recommending an inexpensive composite($120 or less) for my 5' 90 lb 11/yo? She's been working with a 30/20 easton typhoon for the last 2 months after swinging an 18 oz. bat last year.

Initially, I was interested in the Synge, but there are quite a few reviews out there stating that the bat chips so much it has been declared illegal in some cases.

Thanks!

Apr 1, 2010
would anyone mind recommending an inexpensive composite($120 or less) for my 5' 90 lb 11/yo? She's been working with a 30/20 easton typhoon for the last 2 months after swinging an 18 oz. bat last year.

Initially, I was interested in the Synge, but there are quite a few reviews out there stating that the bat chips so much it has been declared illegal in some cases.

Thanks!

Is she happy with the 30/20 size or do you want a 31/21? You can get a 2012 Miken Freak NXT 31/21 on the 'bay with buy it now for $109.95 w/free shipping. IMO that's a pretty good deal. There are some 30" and 31" CF5s and Eastons out there, nothing with a buy it now in your price range, but you could bid and maybe get lucky.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi